"LLANDEGAI, a parish in the hundred of Uchaf, county Carnarvon, 1 mile E. of Bangor, its post town and nearest railway station, and 10 miles from Carnarvon. It is situated near the coast, to the N.W. of Snowdon, and includes the townships of Coed-y-Park, Port Penrhyn, and Trer-Garth. The surface is mountainous, including the peaks of Carnedd Llewelyn and Carnedd Davydd, above 3,000 feet high. In 1648 a battle was fought near this spot between Sir John Owen, of Clenenney, and Colonel Mytton, at the head of the parliamentary army, in which the former was taken prisoner. The Bangor and Holyhead line of railway here crosses the valley of the Ogwen, a little to the left of the village, on a lofty viaduct. In this parish are extensive quarries of roofing-slate, employing above 2,000 workmen; they have been wrought for nearly a century:; and in other parts are minerals, including copper, iron, lead, manganese, zinc, &c." [From The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) - Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]
Caffell, Gwenno. Cerrig Cannan, Llandegai and Llanllechid. Archaeology in Wales 28 (1988), p. 85-6
Douglas Pennant, E H. The Pennants of Penrhyn : a genealogical history of the Pennant family of Clarendon, Jamaica, and Penrhyn Castle. Bethesda : Gwasg Ffrancon, 1982. 53p
Hughes, Hugh D. Antiquities of Llandegai and Llanllechid = hynafiaethau Llandegai a LlanllechidBethesda : Argraphwyd dros yr awdwr gan R. Jones, 1866. 160p
National Trust. Penrhyn Castle, Bangor, Caernarvonshire. [London] : National Trust,  16p
Owen, Robert. Hanes dechreuad a chynydd y Methodistiaid Calfinaidd ym mhlwyfydd Llanllechyd a Llandegai. Bangor : arg. gan Evan Williams, . 144p
Parry, William. Hanes llenyddiaeth ac enwogion Llanllechid a Llandegai : sef, Traethawd buddugol yn Eisteddfod Gadeiriol Bethesda, 1867. Bangor : Argraffwyd gan J. Mendus Jones, 1868. 123p
The stranger's best guide to Bangor, Penrhyn Castle and the slate quarries, and through the most picturesque scenery of Carnarfonshire... Bangor : T. Catherall,  72p
1851 Census of Llandegái. A full transcription by Joyce & Douglas Hinde in both "As Enumerated" and "Surname Order" form.
St. Julitta's Chapel. See Welsh
Chapels and Churches for a photograph
"Until 1848, Capel Curig formed a chapelry in the parish of Llandegai but was administered by the priest from Dolwyddelan. with the growing number of visitors to Capel Curig in the 19th century the old church became too small to accommodate the congregation and a new church was opened in 1883. The new church was dedicated to St. Curig, the boy martyr and the dedication of the old church was then changed to St. Julitta - Curig's mother" Heart of Snowdonia site
Account Book of the Society for the Assistance of Church Causes in Llandegai 1878-1907 - details of extant records on Archives Network Wales Essay : a history of the characters involved in the Congregational cause at Llandegai Early 20th century - details of extant records on Archives Network Wales " An essay presented to W.J. Parry at the Bethlehem Literary Meeting. It is a history of the characters who were at the forefront of the Caegwigyn and Bethlehem Congregational causes in Llandegai..."
Rees, Thomas & John Thomas. Hanes Eglwysi Annibynnol Cymru (History of the Welsh Independent Churches), 4 volumes (published 1871+). Here is the entry from this book for Amana chapel (in Welsh ) - with translation by Eleri Rowlands (Sept 2009)
Church and chapel data from The Religious census of 1851 : A Calendar of the returns relating to Wales, Vol 11, North Wales. Ed. by Ieuan Gwynedd Jones, UWP, 1981. The names given towards the end of each entry are those of the informants.
Llandegai Parish; Statistics; Area 16100 acres; Population 1782 males, 1616 females, total 3398
Joyce Hinde has supplied a list of Parish Registers held at the Caernarfon Area Record Office.
National Trust - Penrhyn Castle
People's Collection Wales site - photographs of Penrhyn Castle, Llandygai
Mynydd Llandegai - on Wikipedia
Llandegai - on wikipedia
Carr, A D. Gwilym ap Gruffydd and the rise of the Penrhyn Estate. (NLW's site) Welsh History Review 15
Find help, report problems, and contribute information.
Copyright © GENUKI and Contributors 1996