We are in the process of upgrading the site to implement a content management system.


"LLANDUDNO, a parish and watering-place in the hundred of Creuddyn, county Carnarvon, 4 miles N. of Conway, its post town, and 12 N.W. of Abergele. It is a station on the Chester and Holyhead railway, which has a branch line to Llanrwst. There are two townships, upper and lower, abounding in copper, lime, &c. The village, which is considerable, is situated under the promontory called Great Orme's Head. Until within the last twenty years it was an insignificant village, resorted to only by a few families for the sake of its delicious western breezes, but since the opening of the railway it has vastly increased in prosperity, and may be styled the Welsh Brighton, not only from the abundance, but the excellent quality of its accommodations offered to the visitors." [From The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) - Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]

Business and Commerce Records

Details of extant records on Archives Network Wales for the following;

  • Llandudno Permanent Benefit Building Society Records 1865-1880 
  • J. V. Williams (County Valuer) Papers "Include papers about ; .............. Llandudno Pier Company, 1876-1907....."
  • Dunphy and Sons Records 1879-1956: Dunphy and Sons was a company owning grocery shops, bakeries and wine and spirit retails in Llandudno , Craig y Don, Conwy, Deganwy and Penmaenmawr......."


You can also perform a more selective search for churches in the Llandudno area that are recorded in the GENUKI church database. This will also help identify other churches in nearby townships and/or parishes. You also have the option to see the location of the churches marked on a map.

Church History

See Welsh Chapels and Churches for a photograph of St Tudno's Church

Eglwys yr Annibynnwyr, Deganwy Avenue, Llandudno see below under Genealogy

Rees, Thomas & John Thomas.Hanes Eglwysi Annibynnol Cymru (History of the Welsh Independent Churches), 4 volumes (published 1871+). Here is the entry from this book for Llandudno  chapel (in Welsh )  - with translation by Eleri Rowlands (Feb 2012)

Church and chapel data from The Religious census of 1851 : A Calendar of the returns relating to Wales, Vol 11, North Wales. Ed. by Ieuan Gwynedd Jones, UWP, 1981. The names given towards the end of each entry are those of the informants.

Llandudno Parish; Statistics; Area 2729 acres; Population 574 males, 557 females, total 1131

  • Llandudno Parish Church       Consecrated 1840 in lieu of the old church        Attendance - morning 65 + 18 scholars, evening 87 + 18 scholars     Services in Welsh     Edward T Evans, Incumbent
  • Ebenezer, Calvinistic Methodist              Erected 1814              Attendance - morning 87 scholars, afternoon 155, evening 158        William Williams, Deacon, Tai Newyddion
  • Zion, Wesleyan Methodist               Erected 1857      Not a separate building         Attendance - morning 41 scholars, afternoon 73, evening 66           Michael Powell, Manager, Llwyn Helyg
  • Tabernacle, Particular Baptist          Erected 1835            Attendance - morning 130, afternoon 162 scholars, evening 190               John Griffiths, Minister

Description and Travel

You can see pictures of Llandudno which are provided by:

Welcome to Llandudno - tourist site

Llandudno com - photo gallery

Llandudno Pier

Llandudno - on Wikipedia



Details of extant records on Archives Network Wales for the following;
  • Dr Henry Thomas, homeopath (Llandudno) and Miss Eva Thomas Papers 1852-1975 
  • Williams, Ffowc, papurau (papers)    "Include; ........... Undeb Cymru Fydd papers, 1941-1965, mainly Adrannau Llandudno a'r Cylch a Dyffryn Conwy, 1941-1949; Urdd Gobaith Cymru, Llandudno, papers, 1941-1950; records of Eglwys yr Annibynnwyr, Deganwy Avenue, Llandudno, 1910-1958..........."
  • Diary of John Evans, Policeman     "Diary (original and photocopy) of John Evans, 1859-1868. It consists, for the most part, of brief records of the various crimes (petty and otherwise) committed in the Llandudno, Conwy and Llanrwst area .........."

Historical Geography

You can see the administrative areas in which Llandudno has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.


Abraham Foulkes Papers   - details of extant records on Archives Network Wales     
"Include; ....  newspaper cuttings book of the Llandudno and Colwyn Bay Electric Railway Ltd, 1907...."

Robert D. Barnsdale Papers - details of extant records on Archives Network Wales
"Include; ............ Copy of advertisement for coach trips from Llandudno ca. late 19th century Copies of part of Thorne Deeds Schedule relating to the Mostyn Estate, 1957 Booklet entitled: A Short History of Bodafon Hall and Farm , by R.D. Barnsdale, 1985 Typescript pamphlet entitled: A History of Occupants of Penrhyn Old Hall Eglwys-rhos, Llandudno, by R.D. Barnsdale, 1986 Minute books and other records of the Llandudno and District Historical Society, 1986-1991...."

Land and Property

Details of extant records on Archives Network Wales  for the following;

  • Papers of Birch, Cullimore, and Douglas, of Friars, Chester, Solicitors "Include; ....... Deeds and related documents .... relating mainly to property and land in Llandudno, 1874-1934....."
  • Llandudno, terrier of tithe rights and appurtenances 1776


Gwynedd Family History Society  have a diagram of the ecclesiastical parishes of Caernarfonshire (under Parishes)  - with some links to photographs of parish churches

You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SH784822 (Lat/Lon: 53.322703, -3.827122), Llandudno which are provided by:

Public Records

Details of extant records on Archives Network Wales for the following;
  • Llandudno Library Collection, including scrapbook for the Borough Council of Conway, [1948]-1958; records relating to Llandudno Library, 1864-1965; records relating to the local government, 1860-1957; Llandudno and District Field Club, 1906-1968; Llandudno Convalescent Home, 1902-1954.............."
  • Llandudno Library photographic collection 1857-1983
  • Llandudno local government records 1854-1955 (accumulated 1974)
  • Llandudno Urban District Council Records 1854-1974 (accumulated 1894-1974)
  • Great Orme Lighthouse and Telegraph Station Logbooks 1871 July 6 - 1928 April 27
  • Miscellaneous Llandudno Papers 1853-1899  ".......mostly printed material. The subjects covered include the railway terminus at Mostyn Street, the Llandudno Improvement Act, the Conwy and Llandudno Turnpike Road, public baths, the Royal Hotel Co., slaughter houses and directory office...."


Conwy Schools (Ysgolion Conwy) records - details of extant records on Archives Network Wales
"Include; ....... Llandudno: Central School, 1912-1918; Llandudno: Craig y Don Board School, 1897-1944; Llandudnp: Dyffryn Road Council School, 1905-1975; Llandudno: Lloyd Street School, 1873-1945; Llandudno: St George's National School, 1863-1994, with photographs, 1936-1969 and [1980s]; Llandudno: Ysgol John Bright, 1893-1981......"