GENUKI Home page

Caernarvonshire Caernarvonshire    Parish Index Towns & Parishes    Contents Contents

LLANDUDNO

"LLANDUDNO, a parish and watering-place in the hundred of Creuddyn, county Carnarvon, 4 miles N. of Conway, its post town, and 12 N.W. of Abergele. It is a station on the Chester and Holyhead railway, which has a branch line to Llanrwst. There are two townships, upper and lower, abounding in copper, lime, &c. The village, which is considerable, is situated under the promontory called Great Orme's Head. Until within the last twenty years it was an insignificant village, resorted to only by a few families for the sake of its delicious western breezes, but since the opening of the railway it has vastly increased in prosperity, and may be styled the Welsh Brighton, not only from the abundance, but the excellent quality of its accommodations offered to the visitors." [From The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) - Transcribed by Colin Hinson 2003]

Bibliography

See separate page

Business and Commerce Records

Details of extant records on Archives Network Wales for the following;

Church History

See Welsh Chapels and Churches for a photograph of St Tudno's Church

Eglwys yr Annibynnwyr, Deganwy Avenue, Llandudno see below under Genealogy

A Pictorial Tour of Llandudno Churches

Plans for the following churches are on the Church plans online site;

Rees, Thomas & John Thomas.Hanes Eglwysi Annibynnol Cymru (History of the Welsh Independent Churches), 4 volumes (published 1871+). Here is the entry from this book for Llandudno  chapel (in Welsh )  - with translation by Eleri Rowlands (Feb 2012)

Church and chapel data from The Religious census of 1851 : A Calendar of the returns relating to Wales, Vol 11, North Wales. Ed. by Ieuan Gwynedd Jones, UWP, 1981. The names given towards the end of each entry are those of the informants.

Llandudno Parish; Statistics; Area 2729 acres; Population 574 males, 557 females, total 1131

Church Records

Joyce Hinde has supplied a list of Parish Registers held at the Caernarfon Area Record Office.

Description and Travel

Welcome to Llandudno - tourist site

Llandudno com - photo gallery

Llandudno Pier

Llandudno - on Wikipedia

Gazetteers

Genealogy

Details of extant records on Archives Network Wales for the following;

History

Abraham Foulkes Papers   - details of extant records on Archives Network Wales     
"Include; ....  newspaper cuttings book of the Llandudno and Colwyn Bay Electric Railway Ltd, 1907...."

Robert D. Barnsdale Papers - details of extant records on Archives Network Wales
"Include; ............ Copy of advertisement for coach trips from Llandudno ca. late 19th century Copies of part of Thorne Deeds Schedule relating to the Mostyn Estate, 1957 Booklet entitled: A Short History of Bodafon Hall and Farm , by R.D. Barnsdale, 1985 Typescript pamphlet entitled: A History of Occupants of Penrhyn Old Hall Eglwys-rhos, Llandudno, by R.D. Barnsdale, 1986 Minute books and other records of the Llandudno and District Historical Society, 1986-1991...."

Land and Property

Details of extant records on Archives Network Wales  for the following;

Maps

View maps covering the area of this parish and places within its boundaries

Gwynedd Family History Society  have a diagram of the ecclesiastical parishes of Caernarfonshire (under Publications)  - with some links to photographs of parish churches

Public Records

Details of extant records on Archives Network Wales for the following;

Schools

Conwy Schools (Ysgolion Conwy) records - details of extant records on Archives Network Wales
"Include; ....... Llandudno: Central School, 1912-1918; Llandudno: Craig y Don Board School, 1897-1944; Llandudnp: Dyffryn Road Council School, 1905-1975; Llandudno: Lloyd Street School, 1873-1945; Llandudno: St George's National School, 1863-1994, with photographs, 1936-1969 and [1980s]; Llandudno: Ysgol John Bright, 1893-1981......"

 


Valid HTML 4.01 Transitional [Last updated: 4 July 2013 -  Gareth Hicks]

InfoFind help, report problems, and contribute information.

Copyright GENUKI and Contributors 1996 to date
GENUKI is a registered trade mark of the
charitable trust GENUKI