Llanengan - Gazetteers

National Gazetteer (1868)

"LLANENGAN, a parish in the hundred of Commitmaen, county Carnarvon, 7 miles S.W. Pwllheli, its post town. It is situated on the south-eastern coast, having Porth Nigel, or "Hell's Mouth" bay on the W., and St. Tudwall's islands lying off the eastern side. The neighbourhood is hilly. Lead is obtained here. In 1839 the Transit was wrecked on the E. side of the bay. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of Bangor, £450, in the patronage of the Bishop of Llandaff. The church, dedicated to St. Einion, is a structure of the 16th century, recently restored by Mr. Kennedy. It contains a richly carved screen, which for beauty of design is unequalled in Wales. The charities amount to about £6 per annum. Here are remains of ancient camps, and on St. Tudwall's island ruins of an old chapel."

"ABERSOCH, a village in the parish of Llanengan, hundred of Gafogian, in the county of Carnarvon, North Wales, 6 miles S.W. of Pwllheli. It is situated on the shore of St. Tudwell's Bay."

[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]

A Topographical Dictionary of Wales Samuel Lewis, 1833

LLANENGAN (LLAN-EINGION), a parish chiefly in the hundrcd of COMMITMAEN, but partly in that of GAFLOGION, Lleyn division of the county of CARNARVON, NORTH WALES, 8 miles (S. W.) from Pwllheli containing 1016 inhabitants. This parish, which comprises the headland, or promontory, of Penrhyn Du, extending into St. Tudwal's Roads in St. George's channel, is pleasantly situated at the southern extremity of the county; it is about four miles in length and three in breadth, and contains three thousand nine hundred and eighty acres. The surface is varied, much of the parish being hilly, while some ground near the river Soch is so low and flat as to be subject to frequent inundation : the stream above-mentioned is the only one by which the parish is watered. At a small distance from the shore are two islands, upon the larger of which are the remains of an ancient chapel, now converted into a barn, which was dedicated to St. Tudwal, from whom the extensive roads off this coast derive their name. St. Tudwal's Roads afford good anchorage for the largest ships, and are so extensive and secure that the whole of the British navy might ride here in perfect safety during the heaviest gales. The bay, which is the finest and the most secure in the channel, affords an asylum for vessels which put in here when in danger of being driven into  the adjoining exposed bay, called "  Hell's Mouth," or upon the extensive ridge of sand called Saran Badrig, or " Patrick's Causeway," which stretches from the shore of Merionethshire nearly into this bay. The soil of the parish is of various qualities : in some places it consists of clay, in others of sand, and in others again of fine loamy soils, or rocky land. Extensive veins of lead-ore have been discovered in some parts of the parish, and several attempts have been made to work them ; but the influx of water into the mines is so great that the expense in many instances has exceeded the profits, and they are consequently worked only upon a very limited scale. The living is a discharged rectory, in the archdeaconry and diocese of Bangor, rated in the king's books at £17. 6. 5 1/2., and in the patronage of the Bishop. The church, dedicated to St. Einion, is a spacious structure, newly pewed, principally in the later style of English architecture, with some portions of a much earlier date : it consists of a nave, chancel, and north and south aisles, and is remarkable as the only parish church in the county having a tower and a peal of bells : the tower is square, lofty, and situated at the western end of the edifice ; the bells are four in, number. According to an inscription, now nearly obliterated, it appears to have been built by Einion, King of Lleyn, who flourished about the commencement of the sixth century, and who is said to have founded a college at Penmon, which he placed under the superintendence of his nephew Seiriol, and to which the Scandinavian wanderers on the neighbouring coasts are said to have resorted for instruction in the Christian faith. The rectory-house stands in an enclosure called the "Prior's Field." There are places of worship for Independents and Calvinistic and Wesleyan Methodists. The produce of several small charitable donations and bequests, of which some are invested in land, is annually distributed among the most necessitous of the poor during the winter. Upon the sea-coast are two tumuli, or barrows, called by the inhabitants Castellau, or small forts, but which are probably the graves of some warriors of remote times. The average annual expenditure for the support of the poor is £263.4.

(Copied using  the Cd published by Archive CD Books