|Caernarvonshire||Towns & Parishes||Contents|
"LLANENGAN, a parish in the hundred of Commitmaen, county Carnarvon, 7 miles S.W. Pwllheli, its post town. It is situated on the south-eastern coast, having Porth Nigel, or "Hell's Mouth" bay on the W., and St. Tudwall's islands lying off the eastern side. The neighbourhood is hilly. Lead is obtained here. In 1839 the Transit was wrecked on the E. side of the bay. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of Bangor, £450, in the patronage of the Bishop of Llandaff. The church, dedicated to St. Einion, is a structure of the 16th century, recently restored by Mr. Kennedy. It contains a richly carved screen, which for beauty of design is unequalled in Wales. The charities amount to about £6 per annum. Here are remains of ancient camps, and on St. Tudwall's island ruins of an old chapel." [From The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) - Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]
Bennett, John. Metal mines of Llanengan : mining ventures in a North Wales parish. Warrington : Gwydyr Mines Publications, 2002. 149p
Capel Newydd, Bwlch, Llanengan : hanes dechreuad, cynydd, ac agwedd bresenol Methodistiath yn y plwyf, ynghyd ag adroddiad cyflawn am y Capel Newydd. Pwllheli : Argraphwyd gan R. Owen, [1873?] 48p
Evans, Evan. Methodistiaeth Llanengan : sef, hanes ... y Methodistiaid Calfinaidd yn mhlwyf Llanengan, ... at yr hyn yr ychwanegwyd adroddiad cyflawn am y capel newydd. Pwllheli : R. Owen,  48p
Jones, W L. Y ddwylan : a summary of the history of the churches of Llanengan and Llangian. Abersoch : W. L. Jones, [1973?] 12p
Evan Evans, Llanengan Diaries 1846-1900 - details of extant records on Archives Network Wales
"..... author of a book on the history of Methodism in Llanengan, published in 1873 entitled, Methodistiaeth Llanengan : sef, hanes y Methodistiaid Calfinaidd yn mhlwyf Llanengan ...."
Rees, Thomas & John Thomas. Hanes Eglwysi Annibynnol Cymru (History of the Welsh Independent Churches), 4 volumes (published 1871+). Here is the entry from this book for Abersoch chapel (in Welsh ) - with translation Also Bwlchtocyn - with translation by Eleri Rowlands (Jan 2011)
Church and chapel data from The Religious census of 1851 : A Calendar of the returns relating to Wales, Vol 11, North Wales. Ed. by Ieuan Gwynedd Jones, UWP, 1981. The names given towards the end of each entry are those of the informants.
Llanengan Parish; Statistics; Area 4354 acres; Population 508 males, 601 females, total 1109
Joyce Hinde has supplied a list of Parish Registers held at the Caernarfon Area Record Office.
Bwlchtocyn, Llanengan (Congregational) Chapel Baptist Register 1813-1839 - details of extant records on Archives Network Wales
Penllyn site - Llanengan Community page
Details of extant records on Archives Network Wales for the following;
Gwynedd Family History Society have a diagram of the ecclesiastical parishes of Caernarfonshire (under Publications) - with some links to photographs of parish churches
Find help, report problems, and contribute information.
Copyright © GENUKI and Contributors 1996