Report problems or contribute information
We are in the process of upgrading the site to implement a content management system.
"LLANFAGLAN, a parish in the hundred of Is-Gorfai, county Carnarvon, 2 miles S.W. of Carnarvon, its post town, and 2 from Pontnewydd, where there is a station of the Nantlle railway. It is situated on the S.W. shore of Menai Strait. On the sandy beach many rare marine plants are found. At the extreme point of the bay is Belan, a miniature fort and bathing-place of Lord Newborough, guarding the entrance of the Menai. The living is a curacy annexed to the vicarage of Llanwda, in the diocese of Bangor. The church, dedicated to St. Baglan, contains a stone, inscribed "Lovernus Fil."" [From The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) - Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]
Jones, William H. Old Karnarvon : a historical account of the town of Carnarvon, with notices of the parish churches of Llanbeblig & Llanfaglan. Carnarvon : H. Humphreys, . 186p
See Welsh Chapels and Churches for a photograph of St Baglan's Church
Friends of Friendless Churches - St Baglan, Llanfaglan
Church and chapel data from The Religious census of 1851 : A Calendar of the returns relating to Wales, Vol 11, North Wales. Ed. by Ieuan Gwynedd Jones, UWP, 1981. The names given towards the end of each entry are those of the informants.
Llanfaglan Parish; Statistics; 1884 acres; Population 119 males, 135 females, total 1254
- Llanfaglan Parish Church Attendance - afternoon 30 "This is a very small Parish......................the services at this Church are at 10 am and 2 pm alternately with Llanwnda from which it is distant between 3 and 4 miles" Hugh Roberts, Curate
You can see pictures of Llanfaglan which are provided by:
LLANVAGDALEN, or LLANVAGLAN (LLANVAGLAN), a parish in the hundred of ISGORVAI,county of CARNARVON, NORTH WALES, 2 1/2 miles (W. S. W.) from Carnarvon, containing 156 inhabitants. This parish, which derives its name from the dedication of its church to St. Baglan, is situated on the Menai strait, near its southern extremity, and comprises only a few farms and widely scattered dwellings. The living is a perpetual curacy, annexed to the vicarage of Llanwnda, in the archdeaconry and diocese of Bangor : the great tithes are appropriated to the Principal and Fellows of Jesus' College, Oxford. The church, situated in the centre of a large field, to which there is no public road, is an ancient edifice, consisting of a nave and chancel, with a spacious chapel on the north side : the eastern gable is ornamented with the remains of an ancient cross, curiously sculptured. The average annual expenditure for the support of the poor is £ 68. 13. ( A Topographical Dictionary of Wales by Samuel Lewis, 1833)
A. J. Bodvel Roberts Family History 1925 May - details of extant records on Archives Network Wales
"Arthur John Bodvel Roberts, born in 1871, of Cefn-y-coed, Llanfaglan......."
Gwynedd Family History Society have a diagram of the ecclesiastical parishes of Caernarfonshire (under Parishes) - with some links to photographs of parish churches
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SH469600 (Lat/Lon: 53.115131, -4.289017), Llanfaglan which are provided by: