"LLANFAGLAN, a parish in the hundred of Is-Gorfai, county Carnarvon, 2 miles S.W. of Carnarvon, its post town, and 2 from Pontnewydd, where there is a station of the Nantlle railway. It is situated on the S.W. shore of Menai Strait. On the sandy beach many rare marine plants are found. At the extreme point of the bay is Belan, a miniature fort and bathing-place of Lord Newborough, guarding the entrance of the Menai. The living is a curacy annexed to the vicarage of Llanwda, in the diocese of Bangor. The church, dedicated to St. Baglan, contains a stone, inscribed "Lovernus Fil."" [From The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) - Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]
Jones, William H. Old Karnarvon : a historical account of the town of Carnarvon, with notices of the parish churches of Llanbeblig & Llanfaglan. Carnarvon : H. Humphreys, . 186p
1851 Census of Llanfaglan. A full transcription by Joyce & Douglas Hinde in both "Address" and "Name Order" form.
See Welsh Chapels and Churches for a photograph of St Baglan's Church
Friends of Friendless Churches - St Baglan, Llanfaglan
LLANFAGLAN, St. Mary Magdalene 1867-1871 - on the Church plans online site
Church and chapel data from The Religious census of 1851 : A Calendar of the returns relating to Wales, Vol 11, North Wales. Ed. by Ieuan Gwynedd Jones, UWP, 1981. The names given towards the end of each entry are those of the informants.
Llanfaglan Parish; Statistics; 1884 acres; Population 119 males, 135 females, total 1254
Joyce Hinde has supplied a list of Parish Registers held at the Caernarfon Area Record Office.
Llanfaglan - on Wikipedia
LLANVAGDALEN, or LLANVAGLAN (LLANVAGLAN), a parish in the hundred of ISGORVAI,county of CARNARVON, NORTH WALES, 2 1/2 miles (W. S. W.) from Carnarvon, containing 156 inhabitants. This parish, which derives its name from the dedication of its church to St. Baglan, is situated on the Menai strait, near its southern extremity, and comprises only a few farms and widely scattered dwellings. The living is a perpetual curacy, annexed to the vicarage of Llanwnda, in the archdeaconry and diocese of Bangor : the great tithes are appropriated to the Principal and Fellows of Jesus' College, Oxford. The church, situated in the centre of a large field, to which there is no public road, is an ancient edifice, consisting of a nave and chancel, with a spacious chapel on the north side : the eastern gable is ornamented with the remains of an ancient cross, curiously sculptured. The average annual expenditure for the support of the poor is £ 68. 13. ( A Topographical Dictionary of Wales by Samuel Lewis, 1833)
Gwynedd Family History Society have a diagram of the ecclesiastical parishes of Caernarfonshire (under Publications) - with some links to photographs of parish churches
Find help, report problems, and contribute information.
Copyright © GENUKI and Contributors 1996