We are in the process of upgrading the site to implement a content management system.

Llanfair-Fechan / Llanfairfechan

"LLANFAIR-FECHAN, a parish in the hundred of Uchaf, county Carnarvon, 6 miles E. of Bangor, and 7 W. of Conway, its post town. It is situated on the coast of Beaumaris Bay, and is a station on the Chester and Holyhead line of railway. On the E. is Penmaen Mawr, 1,640 feet in height, with the remains of an old camp on its summit. The land is mostly used for pasture. Adjoining this parish are the Lavan Sands, comprising 96 square miles, which have apparently been inundated by the sea. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of Bangor, value £305, in the patronage of the bishop. The church is dedicated to St. Mary. There are charities amounting to about £2 per annum." [From The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) - Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]

Business and Commerce Records

Details of extant records on Archives Network Wales for the following;
  • Llanfairfechan Butcher Ledgers 1915-1935       "The Slater's directory of North and Mid Wales verifies that there was a butcher, R. Hughes, living at Bodlondeb House in Llanfairfechan in 1895..."
  • Llanfairfechan Grocer Ledger  1932-1938   "According to the Slater's directory of North and Mid Wales in 1895 an E. Williams, grocer, was located at Alma Terrace in Llanfairfechan .... "
  • Melin Isaf (Llanfairfechan) Account Book 1870-1878
  • Papers of Idwal Davies, Llanfairfechan  1913-1941       "Idwal Davies,builder, contractor and undertaker of Upper Mill, Llanfairfechan..."
  • Records of Thomas Hughes, grocer of Llanfairfechan 1894 - 1911    "a grocer and provision merchant and his business was located at Dwyryd House, Buckley Terrace, Llanfairfechan...."


You can also perform a more selective search for churches in the Llanfair-Fechan / Llanfairfechan area that are recorded in the GENUKI church database. This will also help identify other churches in nearby townships and/or parishes. You also have the option to see the location of the churches marked on a map.

Church History

Rees, Thomas & John Thomas.Hanes Eglwysi Annibynnol Cymru (History of the Welsh Independent Churches), 4 volumes (published 1871+). Here is the entry from this book for Penmaenmawr chapel (in Welsh )- with translation by Eleri Rowlands (April 2010)              Also Gerizim chapel - with translation by Eleri Rowlands (April 2012)        Also Llanfairfechan chapel - with translation by Eleri Rowlands (April 2012)

Church and chapel data from The Religious census of 1851 : A Calendar of the returns relating to Wales, Vol 11, North Wales. Ed. by Ieuan Gwynedd Jones, UWP, 1981. The names given towards the end of each entry are those of the informants.

Llanfair-fechan Parish; Statistics; Area 6521 acres; Population 422 males, 387 females, total 809

  • Llanfairfechan Parish Church           Rebuilt and consecrated 1849                 Attendance - morning 110, afternoon 73        "The only weekly instruction given in the Parish is under the Superintendance of the Established Church. Children of all denominations are admitted and no objection has been made by any to the course of instruction. The children are not compelled to attend at Church but do so voluntarily in considerable numbers. On the thirty-first of March there were strange singers invited to one of the Dissenting chapels which attracted many of the usual attendants at the Church which made the congregation less than average"        Services in Welsh         James V Vincent, Rector
  • Horeb, Calvinistic Methodist          Erected 1816                Attendance - morning 213, afternoon 180 scholars, evening 295       Hugh Davies, Deacon
  • Llanfair Chapel, Wesleyan Methodists          Erected 1830      Attendance - morning 55 scholars, afternoon 85, evening 72       John Evans, Wesleyan Minister, Bangor

Church Records

Joyce Hinde has supplied a list of Parish Registers held at the Caernarfon Area Record Office.

Caersalem Chapel Records - details of extant records on Archives Network Wales
"In 1930, Caersalem Calvinist Methodist Chapel in Llanfairfechan celebrated its Golden Jubilee. Built in 1880.........."

Description and Travel

You can see pictures of Llanfair-Fechan / Llanfairfechan which are provided by:

Welcome to Llanfairfechan

Llanfairfechan - on Wikipedia

Llanfairfechan Gallery site

Llanfairfechan - on the Anglesey.info site



Details of extant records on Archives Network Wales for the following;
  • Hughes, Rowland John, papers  
    "Papers of Mr and Mrs Rowland John Hughes, Llanfairfechan, 1865-2000, including a biographical summary of his life, [c. 2000]; minute books of the Llanfairfechan and Aber Infant Clinic, 1924-1951; and notice, agreement and grants concerning property in the Llanfairfechan area, 1865-1883."
  • Old Bank, Bangor and Williams Bank & Co., Chester Banking Records
    "Include; .... Banking records of the Platt family including Gorddinog (Llanfairfechan) and Ystrad Hall Estates, [c.1890]-1956.........."
  • Diaries of Rev. Edwin Jones 1933 July 13 - 1935 February 7   "Reverend Edwin Jones of Llanfairfechan lost his only son, Elis Wyn, in a cycling accident on 2 June 1933...."

Historical Geography

You can see the administrative areas in which Llanfair-Fechan / Llanfairfechan has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.


Caradoc Ellis Papers 1866-1948  - details of extant records on Archives Network Wales
"Include; .... typescripts by him on the history of Llanfairfechan its properties, industries, characters and religious causes.....Typescript transcripts of documents e.g. Llanfairfechan local board minutes, 1872-1886, deeds and sale catalogues of properties in Llanfairfechan, Penmaen-mawr urban district council, 1895-1897, ............ late 19th century; programmes of literary meetings in Llanfairfechan and Abergwyngregyn, 1867-1885 along with receipts relating to Eisteddfod Gadeiriol Llanfairfechan, 1928; prescription books of a Llanfairfechan chemist, 1877-1884; stock books and shop ledgers of shops in Llanfairfechan and Penmaen-mawr, 1916-1948; maps and plans, in particular of the Bryn y Neuadd estate in  Llanfairfechan ...." Robert D. Barnsdale Papers  - details of extant records on Archives Network Wales
"Include; ..... material relating to the history of north Wales, and the Llandudno and Llanfairfechan areas in particular....... photographs of Llanfairfechan railway station, ca. 19th and 20th centuries......."

Land and Property

Details of extant records on Archives Network Wales for the following;

  • Records of Thomas Davies (Cattle Dealer) & Family    "Papers relating to Thomas Davies and family, 1834-1988, including deeds, 1864-1928, relating to properties in Llanfairfechan and Llanrhychwyn......."
  • Llanfairfechan Deeds 1855 November 13 - 1901 March 8      "Material comprises deeds etc, relating to Llanfairfechan properties, including Tyn y Llwyfan, and Maes y Bryn and Llwynysgolog....."


Gwynedd Family History Society  have a diagram of the ecclesiastical parishes of Caernarfonshire (under Parishes)  - with some links to photographs of parish churches

You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SH681747 (Lat/Lon: 53.252859, -3.978549), Llanfair-Fechan / Llanfairfechan which are provided by:

Public Records

Details of extant records on Archives Network Wales for the following;

  • Llanfairfechan Urban District Council Records  1872-1974 (accumulated 1894-1974)
  • Llanfairfechan Burial Ground Papers 1857-1879     "Deeds, letters and papers ...... touch upon lands named, Erw Feiriol, Bryn Meirion and Pistyll in Llanfairfechan...."


Details of extant records on Archives Network Wales for the following;
  • Ysgolion Conwy/ Conwy Schools Records   "Include; ............ Llanfairfechan National School, 1872-1940; Llanfairfechan Caersalem Council School, 1864-1963...."
  • Papers of St Winifred's School, Llanfairfechan 1927-1969          ".....founded in 1887 by Eleanor Douglas Pennant.... This public school for girls began at buildings at Garth and High Street, Bangor, moving to a site near the centre of the town of Llanfairfechan in 1922...."

Social life and Customs

Dr Henry Ellis Additional Papers 1857 February 10 - 1879 - details of extant records on Archives Network Wales
"Comprises medical officer's relief books for the Caernarfonshire district, 1857 - 1864, compiled by Dr Henry Ellis. Includes material relating to diseases prevalent among the poor in the Bangor and Llanfairfechan areas in particular..."