"LLANFAIR-FECHAN, a parish in the hundred of Uchaf, county Carnarvon, 6 miles E. of Bangor, and 7 W. of Conway, its post town. It is situated on the coast of Beaumaris Bay, and is a station on the Chester and Holyhead line of railway. On the E. is Penmaen Mawr, 1,640 feet in height, with the remains of an old camp on its summit. The land is mostly used for pasture. Adjoining this parish are the Lavan Sands, comprising 96 square miles, which have apparently been inundated by the sea. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of Bangor, value £305, in the patronage of the bishop. The church is dedicated to St. Mary. There are charities amounting to about £2 per annum."
"PENMAEN, (or Penmaen-mawr), a mountain and hamlet in the parish of Llanfair-fechan, hundred of Uchaf, county Carnarvon, 5 miles E. of Bangor, and the same from Conway. It is a station on the Chester and Holyhead railway, which here passes through the Penmaen-Mawr tunnel of 660 feet, and is protected in part of its course by a sea-wall, and afterwards enters another tunnel of 1,215 feet, called the Penmaen-rhos tunnel. The mountain, which rises to the height of 1,540 feet above the level of the sea, is a huge mass of rugged limestone rock projecting into the sea, and has on its summit the Braich-y-Dinas British camp, and its slopes are covered with a variety of rare plants. Previous to 1772, it was only traversed by a narrow zigzag pathway, which formed an impediment in former journeyings between Chester and Ireland, but in that year a coach-road was constructed by Sylvester, which was subsequently improved by Telford in 1827."