"LLANFAIR-IS-GAER, (or Bryn Llanfair) a parish in the hundred of Is-Gorfai, county Carnarvon, 2 miles N.E. of Carnarvon, its post town, and 7 from Bangor. It is situated on the shore of the Menai Strait, and includes the township of Brynffynon and port of Dinorwig. The Roman general, Agricola, crossed over to Anglesey at this point. Copper is obtained here, and slate is shipped at the above port. The living is a perpetual curacy in the diocese of Bangor, value £77, in the patronage of the bishop. The church, dedicated to St. Mary, is close to the water's edge. This place takes the suffix to its name-Gaer, signifying a fort or place for defence-from the old Roman camp. The seats are Plas Llanfair, and on the opposite bank, Plas Llanidand, the estate of Lord Boston." [From The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) - Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]
1851 Census of Llanfair-is-gaer. A full transcription by Joyce & Douglas Hinde in both "As Enumerated" and "Surname Order" form.
Rees, Thomas & John Thomas. Hanes Eglwysi Annibynnol Cymru (History of the Welsh Independent Churches), 4 volumes (published 1871+). Here is the entry from this book for Moriah, Port Dinorwig chapel (in Welsh ) - with translation by Eleri Rowlands (May 2013)
Church and chapel data from The Religious census of 1851 : A Calendar of the returns relating to Wales, Vol 11, North Wales. Ed. by Ieuan Gwynedd Jones, UWP, 1981. The names given towards the end of each entry are those of the informants.
Llanfair-is-Gaer Parish; Statistics; Area 2474 acres; Population 349 males, 338 females, total 687
Joyce Hinde has supplied a list of Parish Registers held at the Caernarfon Area Record Office.
Gwynedd Family History Society have a diagram of the ecclesiastical parishes of Caernarfonshire (under Publications) - with some links to photographs of parish churches
Find help, report problems, and contribute information.
Copyright © GENUKI and Contributors 1996