Church and chapel data from The Religious census of 1851 : A Calendar of the returns relating to Wales, Vol 11, North Wales. Ed. by Ieuan Gwynedd Jones, UWP,1981. The names given towards the end of each entry are those of the informants.
Llanfihangel-Bachellaeth Parish; Statistics; Area 2915 acres; Population 156 males, 174 females, total 330
Llanfihangel Bachellaeth Parish Church Attendance - afternoon 7 ".......owing to the inconvenient situation of the church, the congregation in winter but seldom exceeds from 15 - 20; but during the summer averages upwards of 30" John Hughes, Curate
LLANVIHANGEL - BACHELLETH (LLAN - VIHANGEL BACHELLAETH), a parish in the hundred of GAFLOGION, LLEYN division of the county of CARNARVON, NORTH WALES, 4 miles (W.) from Pwllheli, containing 332 inhabitants. This parish is situated in a mountainous district in the south-western part of the county, and nearly in the centre of the great promontory of Lleyn, which separates the bays of Cardigan and Carnarvon. The surface is boldhy undulated, and the land partially enclosed and cultivated ; the soil is generally good, and in the lower grounds fertile and productive. The village, which consists only of one farm-house and two or three scattered cottages, is surrounded by scenery of strikingly varied character. About a mile from the church is Gallt y Beren, the residence and property of the Rev. William Roberts, an elegant mansion embosomed in thriving plantations, and commanding some fine views. Part of Carn Vadrin is within the parish : this rocky eminence, rising twelve hundred feet above the level of the sea, was one of the strong holds of Roderick and Maelgwyn, sons of Owain Gwynedd, to whom this part of the county belonged. On the declivities and around the base are numerous foundations of oblong, elliptical, and circular buildings, varying in dimensions from eighteen to thirty-six feet in diameter, the temporary dwellings of the natives, when driven by any sudden emergency to this retreat, where they remained in safety with their flocks and herds. On the summit,, which was surrounded with a strong rampart, of which some portions are still remaining, the chieftains encamped with their forces, to watch the movements of the enemy, and avail themselves of an opportunity to intercept their progress or repel their aggressions. The living is a perpetual curacy, annexed to the rectory of Llanbedrog, in the archdeaconry and diocese of Bangor. The church, which is dedicated to St. Michacl, is situated on a gentle eminence beneath a lofty rock, and, though possessing no architectural features, derives from its site a highly romantic appearance. The average annual expenditure for the support of the poor is £143. 15. ( A Topographical Dictionary of Wales by Samuel Lewis, 1833)
You can see the administrative areas in which Llanfihangel Bachellaeth has been placed at times in the past.
Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.