"LLANGELYNIN, a parish in the hundred of Isaf, county Carnarvon, 2 miles S.W. of Conway, its post town, and 10 E. of Llandegai. It is situated at the foot of the hill called Pen-maen-fach, and includes the townships of Cae-Gorlan, Cymryd, Glynn, and Pen-Raelt. The Saxons, under Edred, were defeated here by the Britons in 880. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of Bangor, value £225, in the patronage of the bishop. The church is dedicated to St. Celynin. There are charities amounting to about £5 per annum. On the hills are several antiquities, including cairns, tumuli, &c."
"CAE-GORLAN, a township in the parish of Llangelynin, hundred of Isaf, in the county of Carnarvon, North Wales, 2 miles to the S. of Conway. It is near the coast and the Chester and Holyhead railway."
"GLYNN, a township in the parish of Llangelynin, county Carnarvon, 2 miles S.W. of Conway."
"PENRAELT, a township in the parish of Llangelynin, county Carnarvon, 2 miles S.W. of Conway."
LLANGELYNIN (LLAN-GELYNIN), a parish in the hundred of LLECHWEDD-ISAV, county of CARNARVON, NORTH WALES, 3 miles (S. by W.) from Aberconway, containing 279 inhabitants. This parish, which derives its name from the dedication of its church to St. Celynin, who flourished towards the close of the sixth century, is situated at the north-eastern extremity of the county, bordering upon Denbighshire. A memorable battle was fought at Cymryd, in this parish, in the year 880, between the forces of Anarawd, Prince of North Wales, and those of Edred Earl of Mercia, who attempted the conquest of this country. In this conflict Anarawd was completely victorious ; he drove the Mercians from the field of battle, and continued to pursue them until finally expelled from the principality : this victory was called Dial Rhodri, or " Roderic's Revenge," as Anarawd thus fully avenged the slaughter of his father Roderic in a descent of the Saxons upon Anglesey. The village, which is small, is beautifully situated in a fertile vale under the mountain called Tal y Van. The surface of the parish is mountainous, the lands partially enclosed and cultivated, the soil various, and the surrounding scenery marked with features rather of boldness than of beauty. The living is a discharged rectory, in the archdeaconry and diocese of Bangor, rated in the king's books at £7, and in the patronage of the Bishop. The church is a small ancient edifice, not distinguished by any architectural details of importance. There are places of worship for Independents and Wesleyan Methodists. The Rev. Launcelot Bulkeley, in 1718, bequeathed £ 120, directing the interest to be appropriated to the clothing of six poor boys, and teaching them to read, two to be of this parish, and two of each of those of Caerhen and Llanbedr; and the Rev. Owen Bulkeley, in 1737, bequeathed £ 60, the interest to be annually distributed among the poor of this parish. The average annual expenditure for the support of the poor is £ 138.8.
(Copied using the Cd published by Archive CD Books
Find help, report problems, and contribute information.
Copyright © GENUKI and Contributors 1996