|Caernarvonshire||Towns & Parishes||Contents|
"LLANGELYNIN, a parish in the hundred of Isaf, county Carnarvon, 2 miles S.W. of Conway, its post town, and 10 E. of Llandegai. It is situated at the foot of the hill called Pen-maen-fach, and includes the townships of Cae-Gorlan, Cymryd, Glynn, and Pen-Raelt. The Saxons, under Edred, were defeated here by the Britons in 880. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of Bangor, value £225, in the patronage of the bishop. The church is dedicated to St. Celynin. There are charities amounting to about £5 per annum. On the hills are several antiquities, including cairns, tumuli, &c." [From The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) - Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]
Llangelynin Church and Holy Well - on the Wales Directory site
Rees, Thomas & John Thomas.Hanes Eglwysi Annibynnol Cymru (History of the Welsh Independent Churches), 4 volumes (published 1871+). Here is the entry from this book for Henryd chapel (in Welsh ) - with translation by Eleri Rowlands (April 2012)
Church and chapel data from The Religious census of 1851 : A Calendar of the returns relating to Wales, Vol 11, North Wales. Ed. by Ieuan Gwynedd Jones, UWP, 1981. The names given towards the end of each entry are those of the informants.
Llangelynin Parish; Statistics; Area 2017 acres; Population 103 males, 101 females, total 204
Joyce Hinde has supplied a list of Parish Registers held at the Caernarfon Area Record Office.
Gwynedd Family History Society have a diagram of the ecclesiastical parishes of Caernarfonshire (under Publications) - with some links to photographs of parish churches
Find help, report problems, and contribute information.
Copyright © GENUKI and Contributors 1996