Rees, Thomas & John Thomas. Hanes Eglwysi Annibynnol Cymru (History of the Welsh Independent Churches), 4 volumes (published 1871+). Here is the entry from this book for Capel-Newydd, Nanhoron chapel (in Welsh ) - with translation by Eleri Rowlands (May 2013) Also Mynytho chapel - with translation by Eleri Rowlands (March 2010)
Church and chapel data from The Religious census of 1851 : A Calendar of the returns relating to Wales, Vol 11, North Wales. Ed. by Ieuan Gwynedd Jones, UWP,1981. The names given towards the end of each entry are those of the informants.
Llangian Parish; Statistics; Area 4835 acres; Population 528 males, 633 females, total 1161
Llangian Parish Church Attendance - morning 36, afternoon 18 "......The whole of the parish belongs to 3 proprietors to whom tenant seats are appropriated" John Hughes, Curate
Ysgoldy Mynytho, Independent Erected 1821 Attendance - average - general congregation 250, scholars 40 J Evans, Carmel, Abersoch
LLANGIAN (LLAN-GIAN), a parish in the hundred of GAFLOGION, in the Lleyn division of the county of CARNARVON, NORTH WALES, 7 miles (S. W. by W.) from Pwllheli, containing 1211 inhabitants. It is four miles in length and three in breadth, and is pleasantly situated near the south-western extremity of the county, and in the centre of the promontory which shelters on the west St. Tudwal's Roads, in the bay of Cardigan. It comprehends a very extensive tract of land, of which a considerable portion is unenclosed and uncultivated: the remainder, which is rich and fertile, has been brought into a good state of cultivation. An act of parliament was obtained, in 1808, for enclosing the common called Mynydd Mynytho, comprising from six to seven hundred acres, of which by far the greater portion is within this parish. The surrounding scenery is pleasingly varied, and in some places highly picturesque ; and the views from the higher grounds over the bay of Cardigan on the south and east, and over the adjacent country on the north, combine many objects of interest and features of beauty. Nanhoron, in this parish, the residence of Richard Lloyd Edwards, Esq., is an elegant mansion, beautifully situated in grounds which are tastefully disposed, and surrounded with woods of stately growth, and with thriving plantations, which form a prominent and highly ornamental feature in the scenery of the place. The inhabitants, with the exception of such as are engaged in the herring fishery, which is carried on here during the season, are principally employed in agriculture. Some indications of lead-ore have been observed in several parts of the parish, but no mines have yet been opened, nor any works established. A fair is held on June 28th. The living is a perpetual curacy, annexed to the rectory of Llanbedrog, in the archdeaconry and diocese of Bangor. The church, dedicated to St. Cian, is a spacious and well-built edifice, containing several good monuments to the family of Nanhoron, of which one to the memory of Captain Edwards, R. N., who died at sea, is remarkable for its elegance. There are places of worship for Independents and Calvinistic and Wesleyan Methodists. Richard Hughes, in 1642, bequeathed in trust to the heirs of Ty'n y Cae and Nanhoron Issa, £40, the interest of which, together with that of some other charitable donations and bequests, is annually distributed among the poor of the parish. The average annual expenditure for the maintenance of the poor is £450. 6. (A Topographical Dictionary of Wales by Samuel Lewis, 1833)
You can see the administrative areas in which Llangian has been placed at times in the past.
Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.