See Welsh Chapels and Churches for a photograph of Helyg Congregational Chapel, Llangybi Capel Helyg History Notebooks - details of extant records on Archives Network Wales
"3 notebooks consisting of the history of Helyg Congregational Chapel in Llangybi, created around 1850s ......"
Papers of Richard Jones, Llangybi - details of extant records on Archives Network Wales
".......... A large section of this collection relates to Capel Helyg and in particular to the dispute which took place in the chapel in the mid-nineteenth century. Amongst these are an account of the money received towards building the chapel and restoring the chapel house ............"
Rees, Thomas & John Thomas. Hanes Eglwysi Annibynnol Cymru (History of the Welsh Independent Churches), 4 volumes (published 1871+). Here is the entry from this book for Capel-Helyg chapel (in Welsh ) - with translation by Eleri Rowlands (Sept 2010) Also Sardis chapel - with translation by Eleri Rowlands (Nov 2010)
Church and chapel data from The Religious census of 1851 : A Calendar of the returns relating to Wales, Vol 11, North Wales. Ed. by Ieuan Gwynedd Jones, UWP, 1981. The names given towards the end of each entry are those of the informants.
Llangybi Parish; Statistics; Area 4519 acres; Population 309 males, 353 females, total 662
- Llangybi Parish Church Attendance - morning 30 St Geo. Armstrong Williams, Minister
- Brynengan, Calvinistic Methodist Erected 1777 Also used for a day school Attendance - morning 82 scholars, afternoon 188, evening 86 "3 schools belonging to the Chapel" Robert Roberts, Deacon, Hendre'r (illegible)
- Ysgoldy Pencaenewydd, Calvinistic Methodist Erected 1822 Attendance - morning 125 scholars, afternoon 220, evening 105 Isaac Jones, Deacon, Gatehouse Trallwyn, nr Pwllheli
- Capel Helyg, Independents Erected before 1800 Attendance - morning 135, afternoon 140 scholars, evening 200 "The Independents used to worship at this place at the time of the five Mile Act and the congregation was fined twice to fifty pounds and the above sums has been paid by the few poor frend at the place" Thomas Griffith, Minister
- Sardis Chapel, Independents Erected 1822 Attendance - morning 27, afternoon 35 scholars, evening 52 John Thomas, Deacon, Cefn Bron, Llanaethauarn