|Caernarvonshire||Towns & Parishes||Contents|
"LLANGYBI, a parish in the hundred of Evionydd, county Carnarvon, 5 miles N. of Pwllheli, its post town, and 12 W. of Llanfrother. It is a small village. There are slate quarries. The tithes were commuted in 1839. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Bangor, value with that of Llanarmon annexed, £500, in the patronage of the bishop. The church is dedicated to St. Cybi. An Independent chapel was founded here in 1660. The charities produce about £27 per annum, including the endowment of the almshouses erected in 1760 by W. Price. Near the church is a holy well." [From The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) - Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]
Accounts of Llangybi Alms House : from November 12th, 1900 to May 1911. Pwllheli : Printed by W. Llewelyn Ellis, [1911?] 12p
Eglwysi Llangybi a Llanarmon = The Churches of Llangybi and Llanarmon. Llanystumdwy : Eglwys Llanystumdwy, [198-?] 6p
Owens, Benjamin G. Some unpublished material of the Reverend Richard Farrington, rector of Llangybi. Offprint from: Journal of the Welsh Bibliographical Society, August 1937. 32p
Walters, E G. Griffith H. Roberts, Llangybi, Caernarfonshire, 1832-1895. Gwreiddiau Gwynedd/Gwynedd Roots 15 (1988), p. 5-8
See Welsh Chapels and Churches for a photograph of Helyg Congregational Chapel, Llangybi
LLANGYBI, St. Cybi 1877-1879 - on the Church plans online siteCapel Helyg History Notebooks - details of extant records on Archives Network Wales
Papers of Richard Jones, Llangybi - details of extant records on Archives Network Wales
".......... A large section of this collection relates to Capel Helyg and in particular to the dispute which took place in the chapel in the mid-nineteenth century. Amongst these are an account of the money received towards building the chapel and restoring the chapel house ............"
Rees, Thomas & John Thomas. Hanes Eglwysi Annibynnol Cymru (History of the Welsh Independent Churches), 4 volumes (published 1871+). Here is the entry from this book for Capel-Helyg chapel (in Welsh ) - with translation by Eleri Rowlands (Sept 2010) Also Sardis chapel - with translation by Eleri Rowlands (Nov 2010)
Church and chapel data from The Religious census of 1851 : A Calendar of the returns relating to Wales, Vol 11, North Wales. Ed. by Ieuan Gwynedd Jones, UWP, 1981. The names given towards the end of each entry are those of the informants.
Llangybi Parish; Statistics; Area 4519 acres; Population 309 males, 353 females, total 662
Joyce Hinde has supplied a list of Parish Registers held at the Caernarfon Area Record Office.
St Cybi's Well - on the Castle Wales site
LLANGYBI (LLAN-GYBI), a parish in the hundred of EIVIONYDD, county of CARNARVON, NORTH WALES, 5 miles (N. E. by N.) from Pwllheli, containing 717 inhabitants. This parish, which derives its name from the dedication of its church to St. Cybi, an eminent British saint, who flourished towards the close of the sixth century, is pleasantly situated in the south-western portion of the county, and nearly in the centre of the promontory which separates Cardigan bay from the bay of Carnarvon. It is of very codsiderable extent, and the lands are mostly enclosed and in a good state of cultivation : the surrounding scenery is pleasingly diversified, comprising some fine views of the adjacent country, which abounds with varied and picturesque beauty. At Pontrhyd Goch is a slate quarry, which, however, is worked only on a limited scale, the slates being of rather an inferior quality, and the demand for them confined principally to the immediate neighbour-hood. The road from Carnarvon to Pwllheli passes through the parish, but there are no other facilities of intercourse with the neighbouring districts. The living is a rectory, with that of Llanarmon annexed, in the archdeaconry of Merioneth, and diocese of Bangor, rated in the king's books at £ 15. 3. 4., and in the patronage of the Bishop of Bangor. The church is a spacious structure, consisting of a nave and north aisle : in 1830 it underwent a thorough repair,. the roof being raised and new windows inserted, and it is now one of the best ecclesiastical edifices in this part of the principality. There is neither glebe house nor any glebe land attached to the living. There are places of worship for Calvinistic Methodists and Presbyterians. A parochial school, in which poor children receive gratuitous instruction, is supported solely at the expense of the rector of the parish. An almshouse was founded by Sir William Williams, Bart., who endowed it with a rent-charge payable out of the estate of Pentyrch Uchav, for six poor men, who receive £ 1 per quarter, with a sufficient allowance of fuel, and are nominated by Rice Thomas, Esq., of Coed Helen, heir of the founder : the buildings are at present in a very dilapidated condition, no part of the original endowment having been appropriated for keeping them in repair. The Rev. Mr. Griffith, in 1729, bequeathed a small portion of land, directing the proceeds to be annually distributed among the poor. Near the church is a fine chalybeate spring, called Fynnon Gybi, enclosed with a stone wall, and having stone seats round it : the water was formerly in great repute for its efficacy in the cure of scorbutic complaints, and is still found beneficial in chronic cases. The average annual expenditure for the maintenance of the poor is £255. 18. (A Topographical Dictionary of Wales by Samuel Lewis, 1833)
Gwynedd Family History Society have a diagram of the ecclesiastical parishes of Caernarfonshire (under Publications) - with some links to photographs of parish churches
Find help, report problems, and contribute information.
Copyright © GENUKI and Contributors 1996