|Caernarvonshire||Towns & Parishes||Contents|
"LLANIESTYN, a parish in the hundred of Dinlaen, county Carnarvon, 5 miles S.E. of Nevin, and 7 S.W. of Pwllheli, its post town. It is situated at the foot of a steep hill, on the summit of which is Cam Fadrin camp. Lead is worked here. The village is considerable. The tithes were commuted in 1840. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of Bangor, value with the curacies of Llandegwning and PenllÍch annexed, £595, in the patronage of the bishop. The church, dedicated to St. Jestyn, is an ancient structure chiefly in the Norman style of architecture. The parochial charities produce about £20 per annum. Cevin Amwlch is the principal residence." [From The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) - Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]
Rees, Thomas & John Thomas. Hanes Eglwysi Annibynnol Cymru (History of the Welsh Independent Churches), 4 volumes (published 1871+). Here is the entry from this book for Llaniestyn chapel (in Welsh ) - with translation by Eleri Rowlands (July 2012)
Church and chapel data from The Religious census of 1851 : A Calendar of the returns relating to Wales, Vol 11, North Wales. Ed. by Ieuan Gwynedd Jones, UWP, 1981. The names given towards the end of each entry are those of the informants.
Llaniestyn Parish; Statistics; Area 4256 acres; Population 494 males, 573 females, total 1067
Joyce Hinde has supplied a list of Parish Registers held at the Caernarfon Area Record Office.
A Penllyn site - Llaniestyn Community page
LLANIESTYN (LLAN-IESTYN), a parish principally in the hundred of DINLLAEN, but partly in that of GAFLOGION, in the Lleyn division of the county of CARNARVON, NORTH WALES, 8 miles (W. by S.) from Pwllheli, containing 1115 inhabitants. This parish, which derives its name from the dedication of its church, is pleasantly situated at the head of a small valley opening towards the south, near the south-western extremity of the county, almost in the centre of the great headland which separates the bay of Carnarvon from that of Cardigan, and comprehends an extensive tract of arable and pasture land. The village is seated at the base of Carn Madryn, a lofty, barren, isolated hill, which was formerly one of the strong holds of Roderic and Maelgwyn, sons of Owain Gwynedd, to whom this part of the principality belonged. The surrounding scenery is pleasingly diversified, and the distant views combine many features of interesting character and picturesque beauty. In the mountainous part of the parish are some appearances of lead-ore and nikel, but the veins are not of sufficient extent to promise remuneration to the mining adventurer, and no works have been yet opened. The living is a rectory, with the perpetual curacies of Bodverin, Llandegwining, and Penllech annexed, in the archdeaconry and diocese of Bangor, rated in the king's books at £21.3.9., and in the patronage of the Bishop of Bangor. The church, dedicated to St. Iestyn, is a spacious and handsome structure, partly in the later Norman, and partly in the early English style of architecture, consisting of a nave, south aisle, and chancel. The aisle is separated from the nave by a range of pentagonal pillars and circular arches, and is lighted by a series of elegant lancet-shaped windows ; and some fragments still remain of the exquisitely carved oak screen which separated the chancel from the nave. The pulpit and the reading desk are singularly placed, the former being attached to the northern, and the latter to the southern, wall. There are two places of worship for Calvinistic Methodists, and one for Presbyterians. The rental of a tenement bequeathed by Mr. Roger Jones, and now producing £ 13 per annum, is distributed among the poor of this parish at Christmas. The whole summit of Carn Madryn was anciently surrounded by a wall, still traceable in its whole circuit, and remaining in some parts to the height of several feet : within the area are foundations of circular buildings, and near the base of the mountain are the remains of numerous circular and quadrilateral buildings, of which the walls are in many instances tolerably perfect. The upper part of the mountain is supposed to have been occupied by the chieftains during their sojourn in this strong hold, and the base by their vassals and subsidiary forces, who during times of invasion came hither with their cattle for security. Cevn Amwlch, in this parish, at present the residence of C. G. Wynne, Esq., is said to have been the birthplace of Bishop Griffith. The average annual expenditure for the maintenance of the poor is £272. ( A Topographical Dictionary of Wales by Samuel Lewis, 1833)
Gwynedd Family History Society have a diagram of the ecclesiastical parishes of Caernarfonshire (under Publications) - with some links to photographs of parish churches
Find help, report problems, and contribute information.
Copyright © GENUKI and Contributors 1996