"LLANLLECHID, a parish in the hundred of Uchaf, county Carnarvon, 4 miles S.E. of Bangor, its post town, and 10 N.E. of Carnarvon. It is situated on the river Ogwen, and includes seven hamlets, the principal being Bethesda and Tal-y-bont. The mountains Carnedd Llewellyn and Carnedd Davydd are nearly 3,500 feet in height. This is considered one of the largest parishes in the principality. There are several extensive slate quarries. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of Bangor, value £471, in the patronage of the bishop. The church is dedicated to St. Llechid. There is also the district church of Glanogwen, the living of which is a perpetual curacy,* value £180. The charities, including a small school endowment, produce about £28 per annum. Côchwillan was the birth-place of Bishop Williams, and the residence of Archbishop Williams. A fair is held on the 29th October." [From The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) - Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]
Bassett, T M. Canmlwyddiant Bethel (Caellwyngrydd). 1985. 11pp
Caffell, Gwenno. Cerrig Cannan, Llandegai and Llanllechid. Archaeology in Wales 28 (1988), p. 85-6
Crew, Peter. The excavation of a group of mountain-top Cairns on Drosgl, Llanllechid, Gwynedd. Bulletin of the Board of Celtic Studies 32 (1985), p. 290-325
Eglwys Annibynnol Carmel Llanllechid : 1839-2000. Llanllechid : Eglwys Annibynnol Carmel, (Bangor : 2000 Argraffdy Menai)] 40p
Eglwys Sant Cross, Plwyf Llanllechid = St. Cross Church, Parish of Llanllechid : 1892-1992. [Bangor] : Eglwys Sant Cross, 1992. 14p
Evans, Emlyn. O'r Niwl a'r Anialwch. (Hanes Dyffryn Ogwen). Gee
Evans, W J. Peniel Llanllechid 1834-1991. [Llanllechid] : W. J. Evans, 1992. 5p
Hughes, Hugh D. Antiquities of Llandegai and Llanllechid = hynafiaethau Llandegai a LlanllechidBethesda : Argraphwyd dros yr awdwr gan R. Jones, 1866. 160p
Hughes, M. A list of quarrymen who were accidentally killed in the Penrhyn slate quarry, Bethesda, parish of Llanllechid, Caernarfonshire. Gwreiddiau Gwynedd/Gwynedd Roots 9 (1985), p. 13-15
Jones, Ann R. Cup-marked stones at Plas Uchaf, Llanllechid. Transactions of the Caernarvonshire Historical Society 58 (1997), p. 113-15
Jones, Ann R. Lloffion o hanes plwyf Llanllechid. Llanllechid] : Ann R. Jones, [1992?] 19p
Jones, Edward. Hanes dechreuad a chynydd y Methodistiaid Calfinaidd, yn Llanllechid, Sir Gaernarfon. Bangor : Evan Williams, arg., [1891?] 48p
Parry, William. Hanes llenyddiaeth ac enwogion Llanllechid a Llandegai : sef, Traethawd buddugol yn Eisteddfod Gadeiriol Bethesda, 1867. Bangor : Argraffwyd gan J. Mendus Jones, 1868. 123p
Roberts, Dafydd. Y chwarelwyr a'r Sowth. [Caernarfon] : Gwasanaeth Llyfrgell Gwynedd, 1982. 26p (Bethesda Annual Lecture)
Valentine & Sons Ltd . Photographic view album of Bethesda, Nant Francon Valley, Ogwen and District. Bethesda : G. Roberts, [18--]. 16p
Williams, G J. Hanes cerddoriaeth yn Nyffryn Ogwen. 1965. 54pp
Williams, Hugh J. Hanes Eglwys Llanllechid. Bangor, Gwynedd : Jarvis & Foster, 1910. 77p
Williams, John L. Tair chwarel ym mhlwyf Llanllechid, Bethesda. Trafodion Cymdeithas Hanes Sir Gaernarfon 57 (1996), p. 65-84
Williams, John L. Two powder magazines in the Parish of Llanllechid, Bethesda : their significance in the industrial turmoil of the late nineteenth century. Industrial Gwynedd 2 (1997), p. 7-17.
1851 Census of Llanllechid. A full transcription by Joyce & Douglas Hinde in both "As Enumerated" and "Name Order" form.
See Welsh Chapels and Churches for a photograph of Bethesda Independent ChapelLLANLLECHID, St. Llechid 1843-1846 - on the Church plans online site
Bangor, Caernarfon and Tregarth Wesleyan Methodist Circuits papers - details of extant records on Archives Network Wales
"Include chapel records; ............... Salem Church, Llanllechid, 1976-1989; Siloam Church, Bethesda, 1871-1991......" Bethesda Congregational Chapel Certificate of Registration 1820 - details of extant records on Archives Network Wales ".....but the existence of records held at the National Archives, reveal that the cause can be traced as far back as 1790...."
Thomas Williams, Rhiwlas Diaries 1867 - 1908 - details of extant records on Archives Network Wales
"28 diaries, entitled Y Dyddiadur Wesleyaidd , the Wesleyan diaries. The entries made by Thomas Williams contain information about preachers and the subjects of their sermons as well as notices of district meetings and other religious meetings. The lock-out at the Cae Braich y Cafn quarry [in Llanllechid parish] in 1870 is recorded, as well as the religious revival of 1904 - 1905.
Rees, Thomas & John Thomas. Hanes Eglwysi Annibynnol Cymru (History of the Welsh Independent Churches), 4 volumes (published 1871+). Here is the entry from this book for Bethesda chapel (in Welsh )- with translation by Eleri Rowlands (Aug 2009) Also Bethlehem chapel Also Carmel chapel Also Salem chapel Also Saron,Ty'nymaes Also Nantybenglog All with translations by Eleri Rowlands (Sept 2009-March 2013)
Church and chapel data from The Religious census of 1851 : A Calendar of the returns relating to Wales, Vol 11, North Wales. Ed. by Ieuan Gwynedd Jones, UWP, 1981. The names given towards the end of each entry are those of the informants.
Llanllechid Parish; Statistics; Area 18111 acres; Population 3094 males, 2854 females, total 5948
Joyce Hinde has supplied a list of Parish Registers held at the Caernarfon Area Record Office.
Fieldscape around Llanllechid - on the Gwynedd Archaeological Trust site
Rachub - on Wikipedia
Edmund Hyde Hall Papers - details of extant records on Archives Network Wales
"Comprises a manuscript copy of A Description of Caernarfonshire, 1808-1811by Edmund Hyde Hall. Also contains a photocopied portion of a draft of this work, relating to the parishes of Llandygái, Llanllechidand Aber."
John Morris Poetry and Essays [1920s - details of extant records on Archives Network Wales
"Three poems and two essays on the subject of place-names in Llanllechid and industries in Llanllechid and Llandegai, Caernarfonshire"
Photocopies of Dafydd Ellis Manuscripts - details of extant records on Archives Network Wales
"Include; ......... List of the inhabitants of Llanllechid and Llandygai, who died between 1866-1913. Includes personal names, house names, dates of death and burial and place of burial. List of those who died in Caebraichycefn Quarry from 1784 - 1905............."
Pantdreiniog Quarry - "This Quarry is situated at Bethesda, in the Parish of Llanllechid, County of Carnarfon, and less than one mile from L. & N. W. Railway Station at Bethesda......"
What I saw at Bethesda by Sheridan Jones, C. (Special Correspondent of the Daily News)
Mrs Eluned Wanhill Deposit 1860-1977 - details of extant records on Archives Network Wales
"Deeds and documents relating to ... the parish of Llanllechid and the village of Bethesda, e.g. Coed Quarry. Some lands belonged to the Cefnfaes Estate, Bethesda. Also, a history of the missionary school in Coetmor Bethesda .........."
Gwynedd Family History Society have a diagram of the ecclesiastical parishes of Caernarfonshire (under Publications) - with some links to photographs of parish churches
Pages from Llanllechid National School Admission Register 1901-1903 - on the People's Collection Wales site
"It is seen that a number of children left the area during this period as their families went in search of employment in south Wales. The Register also shows that the children were embroiled in the tensions and divisions which had become evident within the local community during the strike......................" Llanllechid Charityand Llanllechid National School papers - details of extant records on Archives Network Wales
"The parish .... consists of Llanllechid village, with the church, the hamlet of Tâl-y-Bont, and the upper part of the parish, Nant-y-Bernglog, with Capel Curig Church. Llanllechid Parish School had been started in the parish church; from 1828 it operated on the National Plan, supported by subscription. Llanllechid National School was built in 1851............."
Find help, report problems, and contribute information.
Copyright © GENUKI and Contributors 1996