|Caernarvonshire||Towns & Parishes||Contents|
"LLANLLYFNI, a parish in the hundred of Uwch-Gorfai, county Carnarvon, 6 miles S. of Carnarvon, its post town, and 13 N.E. of Nevin. It is situated to the W. of Snowdon, and is watered by the river Llyfni, which rises in Lake Nanlle, flows through here, and empties itself into Carnarvon Bay. Here are copper and manganese mines, also slate quarries, which afford employment to the people. There is a tram-road to Carnarvon for the transit of the products of the mines. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Bangor, value £240, in the patronage of the bishop. The church, dedicated to St. Rhedyw, is an ancient edifice built in the form of a cross. In this parish is an old house built on the site of one inhabited by Edward I., who is said to have made a stay here in 1284. There are remains of dwellings supposed to have been those of the first inhabitants,- also of an ancient camp by the river." [From The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) - Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]
Dutton, L A. A quernstone from Llwyn-Bedw-Isaf, Llanllyfni. Transactions of the Caernarvonshire Historical 49 (1988), p. 178-80
Green, Stephen. A find of Bronze Age 'ring money' from Graianog, Llanllyfni, Gwynedd. Bulletin of the Board of Celtic Studies 35 (1988), p. 87-91
Jones, Thomas Ll. Hanes dechreuad a chynydd Methodistiaeth yn Llanllyfni, Nantlle, Ffridd, Talysarn, Cesarea, Baladaulyn, a Hyfrydle : ynghyd a hanes dechreuad a chynnydd yr Ysgol Sabbothol yn y Ffridd, Talysarn, Gelli, Cesarea, ochr y Cilgwyn, Tanyrallt, Baladaulyn, a Hyfrydle. Dolgellau : D. H. Jones, 1875. 52p
Llanwnda Mill Account Book - details of extant records on Archives Network Wales
"An account book, 1879 - 1890, in several hands, consisting of the names and addresses of customers from the parishes of Llanwnda, Llanllyfni and Llandwrog, Caernarfonshire"
Salem Chapel, Llanllyfni Records 1813-1921 - details of extant records on Archives Network Wales
"3 books recording the names of Sunday preachers and other meetings held at Salem Chapel. Also, a list of preachers who served Salem from 1813-1864 and a history of the beginnings of Methodism in Tal-y-sarn dated 1921"
Church and chapel data from The Religious census of 1851 : A Calendar of the returns relating to Wales, Vol 11, North Wales. Ed. by Ieuan Gwynedd Jones, UWP, 1981. The names given towards the end of each entry are those of the informants.
Rees, Thomas & John Thomas. Hanes Eglwysi Annibynnol Cymru (History of the Welsh Independent Churches), 4 volumes (published 1871+). Here is the entry from this book for Talysarn chapel (in Welsh) - with translation by Eleri Rowlands (June 2009) Also Nazareth chapel Also Drwsycoed chapel Also Penygroes chapel Also Llanllyfni chapel - with translations by Eleri Rowlands (July 2009)
Llanllyfni Parish; Statistics; Area 7521 acres; Population 995 males, 1015 females, total 2010
Joyce Hinde has supplied a list of Parish Registers held at the Caernarfon Area Record Office.
Tombstone Epitaphs c. 1904 - details of extant records on Archives Network Wales
"Epitaphs on tombstones collected by Urias Stephen from cemeteries in Llanwnda, Llanllyfni, Llandwrog, Brynaerau and Clynnog, Caernarfonshire"
Llanllyfni - on the Dyffryn Nantlle site
The Llanllyfni Hair Ring - on the People's Collection Wales site " ...... This thickened ring is made of gold foil wrapped around a copper or bronze core and was probably used as an item of personal adornment, perhaps in the hair, during the late Bronze Age...."
Gwynedd Family History Society have a diagram of the ecclesiastical parishes of Caernarfonshire (under Publications) - with some links to photographs of parish churches
Find help, report problems, and contribute information.
Copyright © GENUKI and Contributors 1996