Church and chapel data from The Religious census of 1851 : A Calendar of the returns relating to Wales, Vol 11, North Wales. Ed. by Ieuan Gwynedd Jones, UWP,1981. The names given towards the end of each entry are those of the informants.
Llanrhychwyn Parish; Statistics; Area 9576 acres inc. Trefriw parish; Population 234 males, 244 females, total 586
Llanrhychwyn Parish Church Attendance - ? "This Parish consists of a very scattered population, being entirely a mountainous district. The Church is built in a bleak situation, high among the mountains. The attendance consequently is very scanty and varying." W Lewis Walker, Rector, Trefriw
LLANRHYCHWYN (LLAN - RHYCHWYN), a parish in the Uchgorvai division of the hundred of NANTCONWAY, county of CARNARVON, NORTH WALES, 1 1/2 mile (W. by N.) from Llanrwst, containing 565 inhabitants. This parish, which is exceedingly mountainous, contains an abundance of pyrites, worked by a company from Liverpool, who ship the produce at the adjoining quay of Trevriw, on the river Conway, which forms the eastern boundary of the parish, and is navigable from its mouth below the town of Aberccnway to Trevriw. There are also three extensive slate quarries within its limits, at the distance of about one mile and a half from the shipping-place, in which upwards of one hundred persons are employed : lead-ore has like-wise been obtained here, and some small veins are now being worked. Numerous varieties of quartz crystals are found, some of them of a beautiful amethystine colour, and of considerable value. The living is a perpetual curacy, annexed to the rectory of Trevriw, in the archdeaconry and diocese of Bangor. The church, dedicated to St. Rhychwyn, is situated among barren mountains, at a considerable distance from any houses, and, from the rudeness of its architecture, appears to be of great antiquity : it is vulgarly observed of this simple structure that it was erected prior to the invention of the saw and plane, since no indication of the use of these instruments can be discovered in any part of the edifice : in the east window are the remains of some handsome stained glass, with a mutilated date, which seems to have been MCCCCXXII. Near Capel Curig, at the extremity of the parish, is a place of worship for Calvinistic Methodists. Taliesin, the celebrated British bard, who flourished about the middle of the sixth century, is stated to have resided in this parish, near a small lake, or pool, called Llyn Geirionydd. The average annual expenditure for the support of the poor is £ 121. 18. ( A Topographical Dictionary of Wales by Samuel Lewis, 1833)
You can see the administrative areas in which Llanrhychwyn has been placed at times in the past.
Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
Reverend Thomas David Jones Papers 1901-1943 - details of extant records on Archives Network Wales
"This collection consists of material accumulated by Reverend Jones as the basis for a history of Capel Curig, of which he had drafted the first few chapters before he died.........."