GENUKI Home page

Caernarvonshire Caernarvonshire    Parish Index Towns & Parishes    Contents Contents

LLANRHYCHWYN

"LLANRHYCHWYN, a parish in the hundred of Nant-Conway, county Carnarvon, 1 mile N.W. of Llanrwst, and 11 miles E. of Llanberris. It is situated in a vale surrounded by hills, and watered by the river Conway. Here are slate quarries and a lead mine. The village is a rude and primitive place, adjoining the wood of Gwydir. The living is a curacy annexed to the rectory* of TrÍvriw, in the diocese of Bangor. The church is dedicated to St. Rhychwyn. The charities amount to about £1 per annum. The Welsh bard, Taliesin, resided at Llyn Gerrionydd, in this neighbourhood." [From The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) - Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]

Bibliography

Trefriw and Llanrhychwyn churches : a short story. Trefriw : Llanrhychwyn : Saint Mary's Church ; Llanrhychwyn Church, [197-?] 8p

Church History

See Welsh Chapels and Churches for a photograph of St. Rhychwyn  Llanrhychwyn

LLANRHYCHWYN, St. Rhychwyn 1927-1929 - on the Church plans online site

Church and chapel data from The Religious census of 1851 : A Calendar of the returns relating to Wales, Vol 11, North Wales. Ed. by Ieuan Gwynedd Jones, UWP, 1981. The names given towards the end of each entry are those of the informants.

Llanrhychwyn Parish; Statistics; Area 9576 acres inc. Trefriw parish; Population 234 males, 244 females, total 586

Church Records

Joyce Hinde has supplied a list of Parish Registers held at the Caernarfon Area Record Office.

Description and Travel

Capel Curig - on Wikipedia

Moel Siabod - on Wikipedia

Capel Curig - on Anglesey.info

'Capel Curig' by Moses Griffiths, 1806 (watercolour) on the People's Collection Wales site (use search box)

Gazetteers

LLANRHYCHWYN (LLAN - RHYCHWYN), a parish in the Uchgorvai division of the hundred of NANTCONWAY, county of CARNARVON, NORTH WALES, 1 1/2 mile (W. by N.) from Llanrwst, containing 565 inhabitants. This parish, which is exceedingly mountainous, contains an abundance of pyrites, worked by a company from Liverpool, who ship the produce at the adjoining quay of Trevriw, on the river Conway, which forms the eastern boundary of the parish, and is navigable from its mouth below the town of Aberccnway to Trevriw. There are also three extensive slate quarries within its limits, at the distance of about one mile and a half from the shipping-place, in which upwards of one hundred persons are employed : lead-ore has like-wise been obtained here, and some small veins are now being worked. Numerous varieties of quartz crystals are found, some of them of a beautiful amethystine colour, and of considerable value. The living is a perpetual curacy, annexed to the rectory of Trevriw, in the archdeaconry and diocese of Bangor. The church, dedicated to St. Rhychwyn, is situated among barren mountains, at a considerable distance from any houses, and, from the rudeness of its architecture, appears to be of great antiquity : it is vulgarly observed of this simple structure that it was erected prior to the invention of the saw and plane, since no indication of the use of these instruments can be discovered in any part of the edifice : in the east window are the remains of some handsome stained glass, with a mutilated date, which seems to have been MCCCCXXII. Near Capel Curig, at the extremity of the parish, is a place of worship for Calvinistic Methodists. Taliesin, the celebrated British bard, who flourished about the middle of the sixth century, is stated to have resided in this parish, near a small lake, or pool, called Llyn Geirionydd. The average annual expenditure for the support of the poor is £ 121. 18.   ( A Topographical Dictionary of Wales by Samuel Lewis, 1833)

History

Reverend Thomas David Jones Papers 1901-1943 - details of extant records on Archives Network Wales
"This collection consists of material accumulated by Reverend Jones as the basis for a history of Capel Curig, of which he had drafted the first few chapters before he died.........."

Maps

View maps covering the area of this parish and places within its boundaries

Gwynedd Family History Society  have a diagram of the ecclesiastical parishes of Caernarfonshire (under Publications)  - with some links to photographs of parish churches

Schools

Conwy Schools (Ysgolion Conwy) records - details of extant records on Archives Network Wales
"Include; ......... Capel Curig Council School, 1904-1977.............."

 


Valid HTML 4.01 Transitional [Last updated:  1 Nov 2012  - Gareth Hicks]

InfoFind help, report problems, and contribute information.

Copyright © GENUKI and Contributors 1996 to date
GENUKI is a registered trade mark of the
charitable trust GENUKI