Rees, Thomas & John Thomas. Hanes Eglwysi Annibynnol Cymru (History of the Welsh Independent Churches), 4 volumes (published 1871+). Here is the entry from this book for Llanystumdwy chapel (in Welsh ) - with translation by Eleri Rowlands (Feb 2010)
Church and chapel data from The Religious census of 1851 : A Calendar of the returns relating to Wales, Vol 11, North Wales. Ed. by Ieuan Gwynedd Jones, UWP,1981. The names given towards the end of each entry are those of the informants.
Llanystymdwy Parish; Statistics; Area 6780 acres; Population 577 males, 629 females, total 1206
Llanystumdwy Parish Church Attendance - average - morning 100, afternoon 40 Services in Welsh John Hughes, Rector
Tabernacle, Independent Erected c 1831 Attendance - morning 33, afternoon 34, evening 101 William Roberts, Independent Preacher
Bontfechan, Calvinistic Methodists Erected 1804 Attendance - morning 132, afternoon 111 scholars, evening 110 Robert Roberts, Deacon, Pen y bryn
LLANYSTYNDWY (LLAN - YSTUM - DWY), a parish in the hundred of EIVIONYDD, Eivionydd division of the county of CARNARVON, NORTH WALES, 6 miles (N. E. by E.) from Pwllheli, containing 1115 inhabitants. This parish, of which the name signifies the church on the windings of the river Dwy, is pleasantly situated on the northern shore of Cardigan bay, and on the turnpike road leading from Pwllheli to Tremadoc : it comprises an extensive tract, of country, embracing a variety of rural beauty and pleasing scenery. The village, which is small, but has a very pretty appearance, is situated in a fine vale watered by the river Dwy, over which a neat bridge of three arches has been erected near it ; and the neighbourhood is enlivened by some handsome seats, which form interesting features in the landscape. Of these, the principal is Plas Hen, an ancient family mansion, celebrated as having been the residence of Sir Howel y Vwyall, who attended the Black Prince to the field of Poictiers, and is said to have taken the French king prisoner in the battle fought there : this estate is now the property of E. M. Lloyd Mostyn, Esq. Gwynvryn and Trevan, also in this parish, are both elegant mansions, and noted for the frequent and sanguinary feuds maintained between their respective lords, towards the close of the fifteenth century. A fair is held on April 17th. The living is a rectory, in the archdeaconry of Merioneth, and diocese of Bangor, rated in the king's books at £11.8.1 1/2., and in the patronage of the Bishop of Bangor. The church, dedicated to St. John the Baptist, and nearly rebuilt in 1819, is a small handsome edifice, very neatly fitted up, consisting of a nave, chancel, and north and south aisles : the north aisle was built by the family of Priestly, under the sanction of a faculty. There are places of worship for Independents and Calvinistic Methodists. A National school was established in 1819, for the gratuitous instruction of poor children ; and a school-house was built with funds which had accumulated from the rectory during the period for which it was held by Dr. Hughes, under a dispensation. The building, though small, is very neat and commodious; and there are at present sixty children in the school, which is partly supported by the funds above noticed, and partly by subscription. The Rev. John Jones, in 1690, bequeathed £ 50 in money, the interest to be annually distributed among ten poor people of this parish not receiving parochial relief ; Margaret Wynne bequeathed £ 50 for the relief of aged women, which benefaction has been lost by the failure of the persons to whom it was lent on interest ; and Thomas Prichard, in 1720, bequeathed £ 10 to the poor. The average annual expenditure for the support of the poor is £377.7. (A Topographical Dictionary of Wales by Samuel Lewis, 1833)