|Caernarvonshire||Towns & Parishes||Contents|
"LLANYSTYMDWY, a parish in the hundred of Evionydd, county Carnarvon, 2 miles N.W. of Criccieth. Tremadoc is its post town. It is situated near the N. coast of Cardigan Bay, and is watered by the rivers Dwyfach and Dwyfawr, which are crossed at the village. This was once the property of Howell-y-Vwyall, who took John, King of France, prisoner at Poictiers. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of Bangor, value £485, in the patronage of the bishop. The church, dedicated to St. John the Baptist, is almost hidden in ivy. The parochial charities, including £31 to Hughes's school, produce £70 per annum. Plas Hên and Gwynvryn are the principal residences. A fair is held on the 17th April." [From The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) - Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]
Eglwys y Plwyf Llanystumdwy = Parish Church. Llanystumdwy : Eglwys Llanystumdwy, [198-?] 6p
Gresham, Colin A. Highgate and the Lloyds of Llanystumdwy. Transactions of the Caernarvonshire Historical 51 (1990), p. 135-51
Lloyd George amd Nonconformity : the chapels of Llanystumdwy and Cricieth. Capel 23 (1994), p. 1-4
Rees, Thomas & John Thomas. Hanes Eglwysi Annibynnol Cymru (History of the Welsh Independent Churches), 4 volumes (published 1871+). Here is the entry from this book for Llanystumdwy chapel (in Welsh ) - with translation by Eleri Rowlands (Feb 2010)
Church and chapel data from The Religious census of 1851 : A Calendar of the returns relating to Wales, Vol 11, North Wales. Ed. by Ieuan Gwynedd Jones, UWP, 1981. The names given towards the end of each entry are those of the informants.
Llanystymdwy Parish; Statistics; Area 6780 acres; Population 577 males, 629 females, total 1206
Joyce Hinde has supplied a list of Parish Registers held at the Caernarfon Area Record Office.
Llanystumdwy village site
LLANYSTYNDWY (LLAN - YSTUM - DWY), a parish in the hundred of EIVIONYDD, Eivionydd division of the county of CARNARVON, NORTH WALES, 6 miles (N. E. by E.) from Pwllheli, containing 1115 inhabitants. This parish, of which the name signifies the church on the windings of the river Dwy, is pleasantly situated on the northern shore of Cardigan bay, and on the turnpike road leading from Pwllheli to Tremadoc : it comprises an extensive tract, of country, embracing a variety of rural beauty and pleasing scenery. The village, which is small, but has a very pretty appearance, is situated in a fine vale watered by the river Dwy, over which a neat bridge of three arches has been erected near it ; and the neighbourhood is enlivened by some handsome seats, which form interesting features in the landscape. Of these, the principal is Plas Hen, an ancient family mansion, celebrated as having been the residence of Sir Howel y Vwyall, who attended the Black Prince to the field of Poictiers, and is said to have taken the French king prisoner in the battle fought there : this estate is now the property of E. M. Lloyd Mostyn, Esq. Gwynvryn and Trevan, also in this parish, are both elegant mansions, and noted for the frequent and sanguinary feuds maintained between their respective lords, towards the close of the fifteenth century. A fair is held on April 17th. The living is a rectory, in the archdeaconry of Merioneth, and diocese of Bangor, rated in the king's books at £11.8.1 1/2., and in the patronage of the Bishop of Bangor. The church, dedicated to St. John the Baptist, and nearly rebuilt in 1819, is a small handsome edifice, very neatly fitted up, consisting of a nave, chancel, and north and south aisles : the north aisle was built by the family of Priestly, under the sanction of a faculty. There are places of worship for Independents and Calvinistic Methodists. A National school was established in 1819, for the gratuitous instruction of poor children ; and a school-house was built with funds which had accumulated from the rectory during the period for which it was held by Dr. Hughes, under a dispensation. The building, though small, is very neat and commodious; and there are at present sixty children in the school, which is partly supported by the funds above noticed, and partly by subscription. The Rev. John Jones, in 1690, bequeathed £ 50 in money, the interest to be annually distributed among ten poor people of this parish not receiving parochial relief ; Margaret Wynne bequeathed £ 50 for the relief of aged women, which benefaction has been lost by the failure of the persons to whom it was lent on interest ; and Thomas Prichard, in 1720, bequeathed £ 10 to the poor. The average annual expenditure for the support of the poor is £377.7. (A Topographical Dictionary of Wales by Samuel Lewis, 1833)
The grave of David Lloyd George, Llanystumdwy - on the Geograph site
A NLW site - David Lloyd George exhibition
People's Collection Wales site - David Lloyd George on Llanystumdwy bridge in 1944
Talarvor, papers 1795-1878 - details of extant records on Archives Network Wales
"John Williams and John Roberts ran a medical practice based at Talarvor, Llanystumdwy ........"
Details of extant records on Archives Network Wales for the following;
Gwynedd Family History Society have a diagram of the ecclesiastical parishes of Caernarfonshire (under Publications) - with some links to photographs of parish churches
Find help, report problems, and contribute information.
Copyright © GENUKI and Contributors 1996