|Caernarvonshire||Towns & Parishes||Contents|
"LLYSFAEN, a parish in the hundred of Creuddyn, county Carnarvon and partly in the county of Denbigh, 4 miles W. of Abergele, its post town, and 7 E. of Conway. It is situated on the N. coast, adjoining the county of Denbigh, and includes, with Pant and Isallt, 5 townships. The Liverpool Telegraph had a station here. Limestone is obtained. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of St. Asaph, value £250, in the patronage of the bishop. The church is dedicated to St. Cynvran. The charities amount to about £4 per annum." [From The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) - Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]
Davies, Joan M. Llysfaen - our village. [Llanddulas] : [Joan M. Davies], 1994. 48p
Ellis, Bryn. A brief history of Llanddulas and Llysfaen quarries. Abergele Field Club and Historical Society Review 17 (1998), p. 3-10
Jones, Francis. Dechreuad a chynydd y Methodistiaid Calfinaidd yn Abergele, Pensarn, Bettws, Llysfaen, Llanddulas, Penbryn-Llwyni, Morfa a Thywyn. Dolgellau : Argraffwyd gan E. W. Evans, 1908. 91p
Williams, Idris. Tabor Llysfaen. [Llysfaen] : [Eglwys Tabor], 1986. 16p
See Welsh Chapels and Churches for a photograph of ;
St Cynfran Church, Llysfaen - on the Clwyd FHS site
Church and chapel data from The Religious census of 1851 : A Calendar of the returns relating to Wales, Vol 11, North Wales. Ed. by Ieuan Gwynedd Jones, UWP, 1981. The names given towards the end of each entry are those of the informants.
Llysfaen Parish; Statistics; Area 1900 acres; Population 397 males, 374 females, total 771
Joyce Hinde has supplied a list of Parish Registers held at the Caernarfon Area Record Office.
Llithfaen - on the Penllyn.com site
Llysfaen - on Wikipedia
LLYSVAEN (LLYS-VAEN), a parish forming a detached portion of the hundred of CREUDDYN, county of CARNARVON,, though locally within the county of DENBIGH, NORTH WALES, on the road from Abergele to Aberconway, 4 miles (W.) from Abergele, containing 585 inhabitants. This parish, which is of small extent and extremely mountainous, is bounded on the north by the Irish sea, and is crossed by the great turnpike road from Chester to Holyhead, close to the shore, which has a fine sandy beach : a considerable quantity of limestone is quarried from the rocks here, and shipped for Liverpool : the village consists of five houses only. The living is a discharged rectory, locally in the archdeaconry, and in the diocese, of St. Asaph, rated in the king's books at £ 12. 0. 5., and in the patronage of the Bishop of St. Asaph. The church, dedicated to St. Cynvran, is a spacious edifice, consisting of a nave, chancel, and south aisle. There is a place of worship for Calvinistic Methodists. Some years ago an elegant gold ring, enamelled and of good workmanship, weighing about an ounce, and bearing the name ALHSTAN, was found upon a mountain near the church; and is now in the possession of Mr. Walker, of Chester: according to Mr. Pegge, it belonged to a military commander of that name in King Egbert's army, which invaded North Wales in 818. Another gold ring, heavier and of rough workmanship, was picked up near the same place; and, in 1826, a great number of silver coins, principally struck in the reigns of Stephen, Henry I., John, Edward I., and Edward III., and in an excellent state of preservation, was found. Upon the apex of this mountain a signal staff telegraph was erected in 1827, which communicates with Voel y Nant, near Llanasaph on the east, and Orme's Head on the west, forming part of the line of intercourse between Holyhead and Chester. The average annual expenditure for the support of the poor is £191.6. (A Topographical Dictionary of Wales by Samuel Lewis, 1833)
Details of extant records on Archives Network Wales for the following;
Gwynedd Family History Society have a diagram of the ecclesiastical parishes of Caernarfonshire (under Publications) - with some links to photographs of parish churches
Find help, report problems, and contribute information.
Copyright © GENUKI and Contributors 1996