|Caernarvonshire||Towns & Parishes||Contents|
"MYLLTEYRN, a parish in the hundred of Commitmaen, county Carnarvon, 9 miles W. of Pwllheli. The village, which is small, is wholly agricultural. The living is a rectory* with the curacy of Bottwnog annexed, in the diocese of Bangor, value £178, in the patronage of the bishop. The church is an ancient edifice." [From The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) - Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]
Church and chapel data from The Religious census of 1851 : A Calendar of the returns relating to Wales, Vol 11, North Wales. Ed. by Ieuan Gwynedd Jones, UWP, 1981. The names given towards the end of each entry are those of the informants.
Meyllteyrn Parish; Statistics; Area 1519 acres; Population 144 males, 142 females, total 286
Joyce Hinde has supplied a list of Parish Registers held at the Caernarfon Area Record Office.
MEYLLTYRN (MYLLTEYRN, or MELLTEYRN); a parish partly in the hundred of GAFLOGION, and partly in that of COMMITMAEN, Lleyn division of the county of CARNARVON, NORTH WALES, 9 miles (W.by S.) from Pwllheli, containing 268 inhabitants. This parish is divided by the small river Rhydlas into two nearly equal parts, of which the eastern division is in the hundred of Gaflogion, and the western in that of Commitmaen : it is separated from the parish of Bottwnog by the river Avon Trevaes, and from that of Bryncroes by the river Avon Bodnithoedd. The village is small, but is pleasantly situated on a wide plain; the lands in the vicinity are fertile, and the inhabitants are wholly employed in agriculture, except during the season of the herring fishery, which for the time affords employment to the whole population. At Sarn, a village in this parish, an annual fair for cattle, and horses is held on the 27th of June. The living is a discharged rectory, with the perpetual curacy of Bottwnog annexed, in the archdeaconry and diocese of Bangor, rated in the king's books at £5. 15., endowed with £ 200 royal bounty, and in the patronage of the Bishop. The church, dedicated to St. Peter ad Vincula, is a small edifice in good repair : in the churchyard is an ancient upright stone of large dimensions, without either sculpture or inscription. There is a place of worship in the parish for Calvinistic Methodists. Dr. Rowland bequeathed land for the maintenance of one poor widower of this parish in the almshouse at Bangor ; and there are some other charitable bequests for the relief of the poor. Henry Rowland, afterwards Bishop of Bangor, and the munificent founder of the grammar school at Bottwnog, was born in this parish, in 1551, at a small farm-house near the church, which is still remaining : he died in 1616, and by his will ordered that the school should be built either in this his native village, or in the adjoining village of Bottwnog. The average annual expenditure for the maintenance of the poor amounts to £70. 5. (A Topographical Dictionary of Wales by Samuel Lewis, 1833)
Workers at Sarn Mellteyrn Wool Factory c 1885 - on the People's Collection Wales site
Gwynedd Family History Society have a diagram of the ecclesiastical parishes of Caernarfonshire (under Publications) - with some links to photographs of parish churches
Find help, report problems, and contribute information.
Copyright © GENUKI and Contributors 1996