|Caernarvonshire||Towns & Parishes||Contents|
"PENLLECH, a parochial chapelry in the hundred of Commitmaen, county Carnarvon, 10 miles W. of Pwllheli, its post town, and 7 from Nevin. The village, which is of small extent, is situated on the coast, near the rocks of Porth-Penllech. The living is a curacy annexed to the rectory* of Llaniestyn, in the diocese of Bangor. The church is dedicated to St. Mary." [From The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) - Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]
Williams, Olwen E. Capel M.C. Penllech : dathlu canmlwyddiant y capel 1898-1998. Tudweiliog : Capel Penllech, 1998. 35p
Penllyn site - St Mary, Penllech
PENLLECH, Parish Church 1840-1841 - on the Church plans online site
Church and chapel data from The Religious census of 1851 : A Calendar of the returns relating to Wales, Vol 11, North Wales. Ed. by Ieuan Gwynedd Jones, UWP, 1981. The names given towards the end of each entry are those of the informants. -- No entry for this paraochial chapelry
Joyce Hinde has supplied a list of Parish Registers held at the Caernarfon Area Record Office.
PENLLECH (PEN-LLECH), a parish in the hundred of COMMITMAEN, Lleyn division of the county of CARNARVON, NORTH WALES, 10 miles (W.) from Pwllheli, containing 268 inhabitants. This place derives its name, signifying " the head of the rock," from its situation at the extremity of some rocks on the coast of St. George's channel. It is composed of comparatively a small portion of arable and pasture land, which is enclosed and in a good state of cultivation. The inhabitants are principally employed in agricultural pursuits, except during the season of the herring fishery, which is carried on here to a considerable extent. Of the great quantity of herrings taken on this coast part is salted and sent coastwise for the supply of distant markets. The living is annexed to the rectory of Llaniestyn, in the archdeaconry and diocese of Bangor. The church, dedicated to St. Mary, is not distinguished for any architectural details of importance. There are some trifling benefactions in money, the interest of which is annually distributed among the poor of the parish, in conformity with the intentions of the benefactors. Cevnamwlch, the birthplace of Bishop Griffith, which, under the head of Llaniestyn, has been erroneously described as being in that parish, is included within the limits of this. The average annual expenditure for the support of the poor is £184.4. (A Topographical Dictionary of Wales by Samuel Lewis, 1833)
Gwynedd Family History Society have a diagram of the ecclesiastical parishes of Caernarfonshire (under Publications) - with some links to photographs of parish churches
Find help, report problems, and contribute information.
Copyright © GENUKI and Contributors 1996