Church and chapel data from The Religious census of 1851 : A Calendar of the returns relating to Wales, Vol 11, North Wales. Ed. by Ieuan Gwynedd Jones, UWP,1981. The names given towards the end of each entry are those of the informants.
Penmachno Parish; Statistics; Area 11208 acres; Population 615 males, 636 females, total 1251
Penmachno Parish Church Attendance - usual - 60/70 No Sunday school is kept at present Services in Welsh Informant; David Williams, Registrar
Chapel Lyn y Porth, Calvinistic Methodists Erected 1806 Used as a Day School Attendance - morning 165, afternoon 180, evening 255 "This is high country and the sunday a very stormy weather" David Davies, Minister
Capel Rhyd y Meirch, Calvinistic Methodists Erected 1834 Not used exclusively as a place of worship Attendance - morning 40 scholars, afternoon 52, evening 40 David Davies, Minister
Rhyd y Meirch [CM] Chapel Music Festival Tickets and Programmes 1898 - 1912 - details of extant records on Archives Network Wales
PENMACHNO (PEN-MACHNO), a parish in the hundred of NANTCONWAY, county of CARNARVON, NORTH WALES, 9 miles (S.) from Llanrwst, containing 984 inhabitants. This place derives its name from its situation near the source of the river Machno, which rises to the south-west of it, and, flowing through the parish in a north-easterly direction, falls into the river Conway, which also has its source in a fine lake in this parish, and forms its boundary on the east and north, separating it from the county of Denbigh. The surface is mountainous, and the district abounds with mineral wealth : the soil in the valleys is fertile, and the lands, which are watered by the Machno and other streams descending from the hills, are productive and in a good state of cultivation. The vicinity is distinguished for some fine mountain scenery, and the views from the higher grounds extend over a tract of country abounding with picturesque beauty. Copper, lead, and other minerals are supposed to be contained in the mountainous parts of the parish; and, in 1784, a lease of the minerals within the common called Llechwedd Oernant was granted by the crown to Mrs. Anne Robinson, for thirty-one years, at a rent of £l. 6. 8., and fifteen shillings per ton for lead-ore, eight shillings per ton for calamine, and one-tenth part of the copper and other minerals. Fairs are held annually on April 17th, August 18th, and October 20th. The living is a perpetual curacy, in the archdeaconry and diocese of Bangor, rated in the king's books at £ 9. 10., endowed with £200 private benefaction, £600 royal bounty, and £ 1400 parliamentary grant, and in the patronage of Sir R. W. Vaughan, Bart. The church, dedicated to St. Tyddud, is not distinguished by any architectural details of importance. Richard Anwyl, in 1682, bequeathed £200, which has been vested in the purchase of land ; Frederick Lloyd bequeathed £ 100 in money, and a considerable portion of land; Maurice Hughes, in 1723, left £70, and David Price £ 20 in money, to the poor of the parish, the income arising from which benefactions is annually distributed according to the intentions of the testators. The poor are maintained by an average annual expenditure amounting to £378. 9. (A Topographical Dictionary of Wales by Samuel Lewis, 1833)
Conwy Schools (Ysgolion Conwy) records - details of extant records on Archives Network Wales
"Include; ............. Cwm Penmachno National School, 1870-1964; Penmachno National School, 1884-1921; Penmachno Council School, 1908-1979..................."