|Caernarvonshire||Towns & Parishes||Contents|
"PENMACHNO, a parish in the hundred of Nant Conway, county Carnarvon, 6 miles S. of Llanrwst, its post town, and 15 from Bala. The village is situated on the river Machno, at the head of the Conway stream, near Llyn Conway. There are some slate quarries, and a portion of the inhabitants are engaged in the flannel trade. The living is a perpetual curacy* in the diocese of Bangor, value £180. The church is dedicated to St. Tyddwd. The parochial charities produce about £120 per annum, of which £70 goes to Lloyd's school and almshouses. Annual fairs are held on 17th April, 18th August, and 20th October." [From The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) - Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]
Hughes, Harold. Painted panels at Penmachno Church, Carnarvonshire. [London] : Cambrian Archaeological Association, 1906. Reprinted from Archaeologia Cambrensis, October, 1906. p. 315-320
Jones, Owen Gethin (1816-1883). Gweithiau Gethin . Llanrwst 1884; contains an essay on the history of Penmachno
Knight, Jeremy K. Penmachno revisited : the consular inscription and its context. Cambrian Medieval Celtic Studies 29 (1995), p. 1-10
Oriel Machno : hen luniau Penmachno. Capel Garmon : Gwasg Carreg Gwalch, 1988. 48p
Roberts, Evan O. A sketch of the old characters of Penmachno, and miscellaneous. Jackson, Ohio : Evan O. Roberts, 1940. 191p
Williams, Vivian P. Plwyf Penmachno. Llanrwst : Gwasg Carreg Gwalch, 1996. 209p
Williams, Vivian Parry. Owen Gethin Jones, Ei Fywyd a'i Feiau (Owen Gethin Jones, His Life, his Faults) Gwasg Carreg Gwalch, Llanrwst 2000
Rhyd y Meirch [CM] Chapel Music Festival Tickets and Programmes 1898 - 1912 - details of extant records on Archives Network Wales
Church and chapel data from The Religious census of 1851 : A Calendar of the returns relating to Wales, Vol 11, North Wales. Ed. by Ieuan Gwynedd Jones, UWP, 1981. The names given towards the end of each entry are those of the informants.
Penmachno Parish; Statistics; Area 11208 acres; Population 615 males, 636 females, total 1251
Joyce Hinde has supplied a list of Parish Registers held at the Caernarfon Area Record Office.
Bethania Chapel [Wesleyan], Penmachno [Sunday School] Accounts 1900 - 1909 - details of extant records on Archives Network Wales
Penmachno - on the Celtic Inscribed Stones site
PENMACHNO (PEN-MACHNO), a parish in the hundred of NANTCONWAY, county of CARNARVON, NORTH WALES, 9 miles (S.) from Llanrwst, containing 984 inhabitants. This place derives its name from its situation near the source of the river Machno, which rises to the south-west of it, and, flowing through the parish in a north-easterly direction, falls into the river Conway, which also has its source in a fine lake in this parish, and forms its boundary on the east and north, separating it from the county of Denbigh. The surface is mountainous, and the district abounds with mineral wealth : the soil in the valleys is fertile, and the lands, which are watered by the Machno and other streams descending from the hills, are productive and in a good state of cultivation. The vicinity is distinguished for some fine mountain scenery, and the views from the higher grounds extend over a tract of country abounding with picturesque beauty. Copper, lead, and other minerals are supposed to be contained in the mountainous parts of the parish; and, in 1784, a lease of the minerals within the common called Llechwedd Oernant was granted by the crown to Mrs. Anne Robinson, for thirty-one years, at a rent of £l. 6. 8., and fifteen shillings per ton for lead-ore, eight shillings per ton for calamine, and one-tenth part of the copper and other minerals. Fairs are held annually on April 17th, August 18th, and October 20th. The living is a perpetual curacy, in the archdeaconry and diocese of Bangor, rated in the king's books at £ 9. 10., endowed with £200 private benefaction, £600 royal bounty, and £ 1400 parliamentary grant, and in the patronage of Sir R. W. Vaughan, Bart. The church, dedicated to St. Tyddud, is not distinguished by any architectural details of importance. Richard Anwyl, in 1682, bequeathed £200, which has been vested in the purchase of land ; Frederick Lloyd bequeathed £ 100 in money, and a considerable portion of land; Maurice Hughes, in 1723, left £70, and David Price £ 20 in money, to the poor of the parish, the income arising from which benefactions is annually distributed according to the intentions of the testators. The poor are maintained by an average annual expenditure amounting to £378. 9. (A Topographical Dictionary of Wales by Samuel Lewis, 1833)
Rhiwbach quarrymen, Cwm Penmachno - on the People's Collection Wales site
People's Collection Wales site - Aerial photograph of Rhiw-Bach Slate Quarry, Penmachno 1993
Penmachno quarry c 1875 - on the People's Collection Wales site
Gwynedd Family History Society have a diagram of the ecclesiastical parishes of Caernarfonshire (under Publications) - with some links to photographs of parish churches Public Records
Penmachno Parish Records 1713 - 1911 - details of extant records on Archives Network Wales
Find help, report problems, and contribute information.
Copyright © GENUKI and Contributors 1996