GENUKI Home page

Caernarvonshire Caernarvonshire    Parish Index Towns & Parishes    Contents Contents

PENRHOS

"PENRHOS, a parish in the hundred of Gafflogian, county Carnarvon, 3 miles from Pwllheli, its post town. The village, which is of small extent, is situated on the coast. Mr. Williams's hounds meet here. The living is a curacy annexed to the perpetual curacy of Abereirch, in the diocese of Bangor. The church is dedicated to St. Cyncoyl. The tithes were commuted in 1840." [From The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) - Transcribed by Colin Hinson 2003]

Bibliography

Annand, David. RAF Penrhos near Pwllheli 1937-45 and RAF Llandwrog near Caernarvon 1940-45. Tywyn : David Annand, 1986. 36p

Church History

Church and chapel data from The Religious census of 1851 : A Calendar of the returns relating to Wales, Vol 11, North Wales. Ed. by Ieuan Gwynedd Jones, UWP, 1981. The names given towards the end of each entry are those of the informants.

Penrhos Parish; Statistics; Area 555 acres; Population 58 males, 54 females, total 112

Church Records

Joyce Hinde has supplied a list of Parish Registers held at the Caernarfon Area Record Office.

Description and Travel

Aerial photograph of Penrhos Airfield, near Pwllheli, c 2000  -  on the People's Collection Wales site

Gazetteers

PENRHOS (PEN-RHOS), a parish in the hundred of GAFLOGION, Lleyn division of the county of CARNARVON, NORTH WALES, 2 miles (W. S. W.) from Pwllheli, containing 112 inhabitants. This parish, which is situated on the western shore of Cardigan bay, is but of very moderate extent, comprising only a small, portion of arable and pasture land, with some common : in many parts of it the soil is poor and sandy, and a considerable portion of the land will scarcely repay the labour and expense of cultivation. The living is a perpetual curacy, annexed to the vicarage of Abereirch, in the archdeaconry and diocese of Bangor. The church, dedicated to St. Cynwyl, is a very small edifice, with a thatched roof, The average annual expenditure for the support of the poor is 29. 1. (A Topographical Dictionary of Wales by Samuel Lewis, 1833)

Maps

View maps covering the area of this parish and places within its boundaries

Gwynedd Family History Society  have a diagram of the ecclesiastical parishes of Caernarfonshire (under Publications)  - with some links to photographs of parish churches

 


Valid HTML 4.01 Transitional [Last updated: 17 July 2011 -  Gareth Hicks]

InfoFind help, report problems, and contribute information.

Copyright GENUKI and Contributors 1996 to date
GENUKI is a registered trade mark of the
charitable trust GENUKI


Hosted by Mythic Beasts Ltd.