GENUKI Home page

Caernarvonshire Caernarvonshire    Parish Index Towns & Parishes    Contents Contents

PISTYLL

"PISTYLL, a parochial chapelry in the hundred of Dinlaen, county Carnarvon, 5 miles N.W. of Pwllheli, its post town, and 19 from Carnarvon. It is situated on Carnarvon Bay, under Rivel mountain and Vortigern's grave. The living is a curacy annexed to the rectory of Edern, in the diocese of Bangor. The church is an ancient structure. There is a place of worship for Dissenters." [From The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) - Transcribed by Colin Hinson 2003]

Church History

A Penllyn site - St Bueno Church, Pistyll

Church and chapel data from The Religious census of 1851 : A Calendar of the returns relating to Wales, Vol 11, North Wales. Ed. by Ieuan Gwynedd Jones, UWP, 1981. The names given towards the end of each entry are those of the informants.

Pistill, or Pystill Parochial Chapelry; Statistics; Area 3949 acres; Population 226 males, 251 females, total 477

Church Records

Joyce Hinde has supplied a list of Parish Registers held at the Caernarfon Area Record Office.

Description and Travel

Pistyll - on the Penllyn.com site

Gazetteers

PISTILL (PISTYLL), a parish in the hundred of DINLLAEN, county of CARNARVON, NORTH WALES, 7 miles (N. by W.) from Pwllheli, containing 528 inhabitants. This parish is situated on the shore of Carnarvon bay, and comprises a small mountainous district, the entire surface of which is dreary, rugged, and barren; and the scenery derives the little interest it possesses from the vicinity of the bay. There is no village, the houses being entirely scattered. Near the church is a modern farm-house, built upon the site of an ancient mansion : the proprietor of this farm, comprising two hundred acres of land, pays only one shilling modus for tithes, in consideration of the smallness of which charge he is compelled to provide bread and cheese, with good ale, or mead, for every person who shall have crossed the pass leading through the mountains of Yr Eivl, on their way to the market town of Nevin. The living is a perpetual curacy, annexed to the rectory of Edern, in the archdeaconry and diocese of Bangor. The church, in which divine service is performed only on every third Sunday, is a small edifice, situated under a high rock, and upon the verge of a precipice overlooking the sea. There are places of worship for Calvinistic and Wesleyan Methodists : the former is situated at a place called Llithvaen, and the latter, to which a school is attached, stands near the church. To the east of the church is a small vale, called Nant Gwrtheirn, or "the Vale of Vortigern," to which that prince is said to have retreated for shelter from his infuriated subjects, and where he built a castle, which is said to have been destroyed by lightning. This narrow vale is situated between Craig y Linn and Yr Eivl, and is accessible only by sea; the sides are bounded by barren and rugged rocks, on which not a blade of vegetation is seen. At one extremity rises the loftiest peak of Yr Eivl, and the only opening is towards the sea, by which it is bounded on the north : the sole agricultural produce of this vale is oats. Near the shore is a small verdant mound, said to have been the site of Vortigern's castle ; and near it was formerly a tumulus, called Bedd Gwrtheirn, or " Vortigern's Grave," in which was found a stone coffin, containing human bones. No traces of these relics are now visible, but the spot is still pointed out where that unfortunate prince, who met his death in this retired spot, in 464, was interred. The average annual expenditure for the maintenance of the poor amounts to 119.15. (A Topographical Dictionary of Wales by Samuel Lewis, 1833)

Land and Property

William Lloyd Jones Papers  1881-[1906] (mainly 1881-1887) -  details of extant records on Archives Network Wales
"Papers of William Lloyd Jones, relating to his sale of Bryn-y-Gloch in Tudweiliog, Bryntirion in Llanengan and Ty Newydd in Pistyll all Caernarfonshire, comprising deeds, plans and other papers, 1881-1883, [1906], and correspondence with the auctioneer and solicitors, 1882-1884; and correspondence with Nevin United Granite Quarries (Carnarvonshire) Limited relating to the possible sale of Ty Newydd, 1886-1887 "

Plan of Pistyll Properties 1870 -  details of extant records on Archives Network Wales
"Plan of Bryndwchwydd, Cae'rorsedd and Carreg y Dinas in Pistyll, Caernarfonshire"

Maps

View maps covering the area of this parish and places within its boundaries

Gwynedd Family History Society  have a diagram of the ecclesiastical parishes of Caernarfonshire (under Publications)  - with some links to photographs of parish churches

 


Valid HTML 4.01 Transitional [Last updated: 17 July 2011 -  Gareth Hicks]

InfoFind help, report problems, and contribute information.

Copyright GENUKI and Contributors 1996 to date
GENUKI is a registered trade mark of the
charitable trust GENUKI


Hosted by Mythic Beasts Ltd.