Open a form to report problems or contribute information
We are in the process of upgrading the site to implement a content management system.
Tudweiliog / Tydweiliog
"TYDWEILIOG, a parish in the hundred of Dinlaen, county Carnarvon, 9 miles W. of Pwllheli, its post town, and 5 from Neven. The village is situated near Carnarvon Bay. The living is a perpetual curacy, in the diocese of Bangor, value £80. The church is dedicated to St. Cwyvan. The Methodists have a chapel." [From The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) - Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]
Williams, Thomas. Hanes achos y Methodistiaid yn Tydweiliog a Phenllech. Pwllheli : D.Caradog Evans, 1909. 58p
- St Curyfan, Tudweiliog, Church in Wales
- St. Cwyfan, Tudweiliog, Church in Wales
- Penygraig Chapel, Penygraig, Llangwnnadl, Tudweiliog, Calvinistic Methodist
- Tudweiliog Chapel, Tudweiliog, Welsh Calvinistic Methodist
- Beerseba Independent Chapel, Tudweiliog, Other
- Hebron Welsh Independent Chapel, Llangwnnadl, Tudweiliog, Other
- Sunday School, Tudweiliog, Other
You can also perform a more selective search for
churches in the Tudweiliog / Tydweiliog area
that are recorded in the GENUKI church database. This will also help
identify other churches in nearby townships and/or parishes. You also have the option to see the
of the churches marked on a map.
Rees, Thomas & John Thomas. Hanes Eglwysi Annibynnol Cymru (History of the Welsh Independent Churches), 4 volumes (published 1871+). Here is the entry from this book for Tydweiliog chapel (in Welsh ) - with translation by Eleri Rowlands (April 2010)
Church and chapel data from The Religious census of 1851 : A Calendar of the returns relating to Wales, Vol 11, North Wales. Ed. by Ieuan Gwynedd Jones, UWP, 1981. The names given towards the end of each entry are those of the informants.
Tydweiliog Parish; Statistics; Area 2241 acres; Population 223 males, 233 females, total 456
- Tydweiliog Chapel of Ease with Llangwnadle Lately built Attendance - average - morning 40 + 30 scholars Services in Welsh "There are very few Dissenters in this Parish. The Calvinistic Methodists have a meeting house but they invariably marry, Christen and bury in the Parish Church" John Evans, Perpetual Curate
- Beerseba, Independants Erected 1825 Attendance - morning 5 Robert Roberts, Minister, Peniel, Ceidio
- Tydweiliog Chapel, Calvinistic Methodist Erected 1792 Attendance - morning 72, afternoon 196 scholars, evening 269 Samuel Jones, Deacon
You can see pictures of Tudweiliog / Tydweiliog which are provided by:
TYDWEILIOG (TUDWEILIOG), a parish, partly in the hundred of COMMITMAEN, but chiefly in that of DINLLAEN, in the Lleyn division of the county of CARNARVON, NORTH WALES, 8 miles (W.) from Pwllheli, containing 447 inhabitants. This parish, which is but of small extent, is situated on the coast of St. George's channel, by which it is bounded on the south : the inhabitants carry on a considerable herring fishery. The lands are enclosed and cultivated; the soil is in general fertile, and, except during the fishing season, the population is wholly employed in agriculture. The living is a perpetual curacy, in the archdeaconry and diocese of Bangor, endowed with £ 1000 royal bounty, and in the patronage of Sir J. S. Piozzi Salusbury, Bart. The church is dedicated to St. Cwyvan, or, according to some, to St. Gwynen. William Jones bequeathed £ 10, and Thomas John Morris gave a small donation, to the poor of this parish. The average annual expenditure for the support of the poor is £ 148. 16. (A Topographical Dictionary of Wales by Samuel Lewis, 1833)
Caernarvonshire War Agricultural Committee Maps - details of extant records on Archives Network Wales
"Caernarfonshire War Agricultural Committee maps and plans, 1900-[c
.1944], mostly relating to boundaries of property, owners, tenants and military use; plans for the crops and grazing and fertilising of farms in the parish of Tudweiliog
. 1944] "
William Lloyd Jones Papers 1881- (mainly 1881-1887) - details of extant records on Archives Network Wales
"Papers of William Lloyd Jones, relating to his sale of Bryn-y-Gloch in Tudweiliog, Bryntirion in Llanengan and Ty Newydd in Pistyll all Caernarfonshire, comprising deeds, plans and other papers, 1881-1883, , ................. "
Gwynedd Family History Society have a diagram of the ecclesiastical parishes of Caernarfonshire (under Parishes) - with some links to photographs of parish churches
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SH238367 (Lat/Lon: 52.898767, -4.621082), Tudweiliog / Tydweiliog which are provided by: