|Caernarvonshire||Towns & Parishes||Contents|
"TYDWEILIOG, a parish in the hundred of Dinlaen, county Carnarvon, 9 miles W. of Pwllheli, its post town, and 5 from Neven. The village is situated near Carnarvon Bay. The living is a perpetual curacy, in the diocese of Bangor, value £80. The church is dedicated to St. Cwyvan. The Methodists have a chapel." [From The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) - Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]
Williams, Thomas. Hanes achos y Methodistiaid yn Tydweiliog a Phenllech. Pwllheli : D.Caradog Evans, 1909. 58p
Rees, Thomas & John Thomas. Hanes Eglwysi Annibynnol Cymru (History of the Welsh Independent Churches), 4 volumes (published 1871+). Here is the entry from this book for Tydweiliog chapel (in Welsh ) - with translation by Eleri Rowlands (April 2010)
Church and chapel data from The Religious census of 1851 : A Calendar of the returns relating to Wales, Vol 11, North Wales. Ed. by Ieuan Gwynedd Jones, UWP, 1981. The names given towards the end of each entry are those of the informants.
Tydweiliog Parish; Statistics; Area 2241 acres; Population 223 males, 233 females, total 456
Joyce Hinde has supplied a list of Parish Registers held at the Caernarfon Area Record Office.
William Owen Roberts, Plas Llangwnadl Manuscripts - details of extant records on Archives Network Wales
"The collection includes transcripts of the parish registers of ........... Tudweiliog 1766-1953 ............"
Tudweliog - on the Penllyn.com site
TYDWEILIOG (TUDWEILIOG), a parish, partly in the hundred of COMMITMAEN, but chiefly in that of DINLLAEN, in the Lleyn division of the county of CARNARVON, NORTH WALES, 8 miles (W.) from Pwllheli, containing 447 inhabitants. This parish, which is but of small extent, is situated on the coast of St. George's channel, by which it is bounded on the south : the inhabitants carry on a considerable herring fishery. The lands are enclosed and cultivated; the soil is in general fertile, and, except during the fishing season, the population is wholly employed in agriculture. The living is a perpetual curacy, in the archdeaconry and diocese of Bangor, endowed with £ 1000 royal bounty, and in the patronage of Sir J. S. Piozzi Salusbury, Bart. The church is dedicated to St. Cwyvan, or, according to some, to St. Gwynen. William Jones bequeathed £ 10, and Thomas John Morris gave a small donation, to the poor of this parish. The average annual expenditure for the support of the poor is £ 148. 16. (A Topographical Dictionary of Wales by Samuel Lewis, 1833)
William Lloyd Jones Papers 1881- (mainly 1881-1887) - details of extant records on Archives Network Wales
"Papers of William Lloyd Jones, relating to his sale of Bryn-y-Gloch in Tudweiliog, Bryntirion in Llanengan and Ty Newydd in Pistyll all Caernarfonshire, comprising deeds, plans and other papers, 1881-1883, , ................. "
Gwynedd Family History Society have a diagram of the ecclesiastical parishes of Caernarfonshire (under Publications) - with some links to photographs of parish churches
Find help, report problems, and contribute information.
Copyright © GENUKI and Contributors 1996