|Caernarvonshire||Towns & Parishes||Contents|
"YNYS-CYNHAIARN, a parish in the hundred of Evionydd, county Carnarvon. The parish includes the market town of Tremadoc, and the bathing-place of Portmadoc, which latter is a subport to Carnarvon. The surface is hilly, and there are mines of copper and slate. The population of the parish in 1861 was 3,138. The living is a perpetual curacy* annexed to that of Criccieth. The church is dedicated to St. Cynhaiarn." [From The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) - Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]
Rees, Thomas & John Thomas. Hanes Eglwysi Annibynnol Cymru (History of the Welsh Independent Churches), 4 volumes (published 1871+). Here is the entry from this book for Tabor,Ynyscynhaiarn chapel (in Welsh ) - with translation by Eleri Rowlands (Jan 2011) Also Porthmadog chapel - with translation by Eleri Rowlands (Dec 2010) Also Morfa Bychan chapel - with translation by Eleri Rowlands (June 2009) Also Borth chapel - with translation by Eleri Rowlands (June 2009)
Church and chapel data from The Religious census of 1851 : A Calendar of the returns relating to Wales, Vol 11, North Wales. Ed. by Ieuan Gwynedd Jones, UWP, 1981. The names given towards the end of each entry are those of the informants.
Ynys-cynhaiarn Parish; Statistics; Area 6546 acres; Population 1061 males, 1286 females, total 2347
Joyce Hinde has supplied a list of Parish Registers held at the Caernarfon Area Record Office.
Gwynedd Family History Society have a diagram of the ecclesiastical parishes of Caernarfonshire (under Publications) - with some links to photographs of parish churches
Hughes, Emrys and Aled Eames. Porthmadog Ships Caernarvon 1975
Find help, report problems, and contribute information.
Copyright © GENUKI and Contributors 1996