"YSPYTTY EVAN, a parish partly in the hundred of Nant Conway, county Carnarvon, and partly in that of Isaled, county Denbigh, 8 miles S.E. of Llanwrst, 7 from Pont-ar-Afon-Garn, and 2 from Pentrevollas. It is situated near the headwaters of the river Conway, which issues from Llyn Conway, a large sheet of water surrounded by hills. The parish includes the townships of Eidda, Tir Evan, and Trebrys, and takes its name from an hospitium, or sanctuary for travellers, founded for the Knights Templars in 1159 by Ivan-ap-Rhys. The village subsequently became the head-quarters of bands of robbers who devastated the district, until checked by Meredydd-ap-Evan.
The living is a perpetual curacy in the diocese of St. Asaph, value £125. The church, originally the chapel of the preceptory, has been rebuilt, and contains three monumental effigies commemorating Rhys-Fawr-ap-Meredydd, Henry VII.'s standard-bearer at the battle of Bosworth, his son and wife. The charities produce about £9 per annum. Fairs are held on 17th March, 21st May, 3rd July, 27th September, 2nd October, and 4th December."
"EIDDA, a township in the parish of Yspytty Evan, hundred of Nant-Conway, county Carnarvon, 9 miles S.E. of Llanrwst. It is situated on the river Conway."
YSPYTTY-IVAN (YSPITTY-IEUAN), a parish, composed of the townships of Tir-Evan and Trebrys, in the hundred of ISALED, county of DENBIGH, and the township of Eidda, which separately maintains its own poor,. and is partly in the above-named hundred and county, and partly in the hundred of NANTCONWAY, county of CARNARVON NORTH WALES, 3 miles (S. W.) from Pentre Voelas, and containing 847 inhabitants. This parish, which is intersected by the river, Conway, a few miles below its source, derives its name from a preceptory belonging to the knights of St. John of Jerusalem, founded by Ivan ab Rhys, about the year 1189, which continued to flourish until the suppression of that order, affording a sanctuary to travellers and others during the period of the conflicts between the English and the Welsh this privilege continuing with the lords of the, manor, after the abolition, and the place being exempted from all civil jurisdiction, rendered it an asylum for robbers and other malefactors, who became the pest of the surrounding country, until the reign of Henry VII,, when they were extirpated by the courage and firmness of Meredydd ab Ievan : the site of the hospital, or preceptory, is now occupied by the parish church, and there is not a single vestige of the buildings. Fairs are held on March 17th, May 21st, July 3rd, September 27th,. October 2nd, and December 2nd. A manorial court is held periodically. The living is a perpetual curacy, locally in the archdeaconry, and in the diocese, of St. Asaph, endowed with a rent-charge of ten guineas private benefaction, £ 600 royal bounty,. and £600 parliamentary grant, and in the patronage of the Bishop of St. Asaph. The church, dedicated to St. John, the Baptist, is a small, neat edifice; it contains three alabaster figures in a tolerable state of preservation, though much neglected : the first is that of Rhys Vawr ab Meredydd, to whom Henry Earl of Richmond, afterwards Henry VII., entrusted the standard of England, at the decisive battle of Bosworth Field, after Sir William Brandon, his former standard-bearer, had been slain : the second is that of his wife Lowry; and the third, in canonical robes, represents his son Robert ab Rhys, cross-bearer and chaplain to Cardinal Wolsey. There are places of worship for Baptists, Independents, and Calvinistic and Wesleyan Methodists. Captain Richard Vaughan, in the year 1700, gave the sum of £ 200, which was subsequently vested in land, and Catherine Vaughan gave £ 14 per annum, for the benefit of the poor : from these funds an almshouse for six poor persons was built, which is still in existence, but the endowment has not for many years been appropriated according to the intentions of the donors. The average annual expenditure for the maintenance of the poor of the whole parish amounts to £354. 4., of which sum £155. 12., are assessed on that part of it which is in Denbighshire.
EIDDA (EIDDE), a township in the parish of YSPYTTY-IVAN, partly in the hundred of NANTCONWAY, county of CARNARVON, and partly in that of ISALED, county of DENBIGH, NORTH WALES, 4 miles (S. W. by W.) from Pentre-Voelas, containing 394 inhabitants. The river Conway, which flows from a lake not far distant, runs through this township, and separates the two counties of Carnarvon and Denbigh. Here is an almshouse for six poor persons, which was built and endowed with the proceeds of £ 200, given by Capt. Richard Vaughan, in 1700, and with £ 14 per annum by Catherine Vaughan, but the funds have not for many years been available to the use of the charity. The average annual expenditure for the support of the poor amounts to
£ 198. 12.
(Copied using the original books AND the Cd published by Archive CD Books
Find help, report problems, and contribute information.
Copyright © GENUKI and Contributors 1996