The data below has been extracted by Gareth Hicks (October 2003) with the kind permission of the publishers from the CD of the same title as the main heading. (Archive CD Books)
The general description extracted is a partly edited version.
Aberporth is a watering-place and village, partly in the parish of Blaenporth, in the county of Cardigan, at the head of Aberporth harbour, a small inlet on the south side of Cardigan Bay, and is 7 miles north-east from Cardigan station on the Whitland and Cardigan section of the Great Western railway, 8 from Newcastle Emlyn and 7 1/2 from Gwbert, in the hundred of Troedyraur, petty sessional division of Lower Troedyraur, union and county court district of Cardigan, and in the rural deanery of Sub Aeron, archdeaconry of Cardigan and diocese of St David's.
The harbour affords a safe anchorage for small vessels.
The church of St Cynfil.....is a modern building of stone in the Gothic style.....the church affords 140 sittings. The registers date from the year 1663.....the living is at present vacant.
There are two Methodist chapels, one at Aberporth and the other at Blaenanerch.......
Penrallt is a mansion occupied by Mrs Wm Graham Reddie. Augustus Brigstocke esq of Llandygwydd, Henry Alfred Jones Lloyd esq of Clydey, Dr Mitchell and Mr Thomas Hughes of Rhosygadairfawr, are the principal landowners........The area is 2,253 acres of land and 18 of foreshore, rateable value £1,499; the population in 1901 was 385.
Post, M O & T Office; - David Jones, sub-postmaster
Post Office, Blaenanerch; - Mathias Jones, sub-postmaster
Wall Letter Boxes;- at Quarry, Trecregin and Parchllwyn
Public Elementary school (mixed), built in 1853, for 120 children; average attendance, 76; John Thomas, master; Miss Hannah M Thomas & Miss Sarah E Lewis, assistant mistresses. The school is controlled by the Cardigan District Education Committee.
Return to top of page
[Gareth Hicks: 11 October 2003]
Find help, report problems, and contribute information.
Copyright © GENUKI and Contributors 1996