Bangor Teifi Contents
The data below has been extracted by Gareth Hicks (October 2003) with the kind permission of the publishers from the CD of the same title as the main heading. (Archive CD Books)
The general description extracted is a partly edited version, place names are as written.
Bangor Teify (or Teifi) is a parish, in the County of Cardigan, on the river Teifi, 3 miles west by north from Llandyssil station, on the Carmarthen and Newcastle Emlyn section of the Great Western railway, 5 1/2 from Newcastle in Emlyn, and 13 north by west from Carmarthen; in the hundred of Troed-yr-aur, petty sessional division of Llanfihangel-ar-arth, county court district and union of Newcastle in Emlyn, and in the rural deanery of Sub Aeron, archdeaconry of Cardigan, and diocese of St David's.
The church of St David is a plain building of stone..........rebuilt early in the present century, and affords 98 sittings; the registers date only from the year 1813. The living is a rectory with Henllan annexed.......and held since 1885 by the Rev David Jones BA of St David's College, Lampeter.
Morris's charity of £1 yearly is distributed to poor parishioners not in receipt of parish relief.
The land is in the hands of small freeholders. The soil is light, the chief crops barley, oats and some roots. The area is 1460 acres of which 15 are water; rateable value £1212; the population in 1901 was 163.
The children of this parish attend the schools at Henllan & Llandyssil.
Letters are received from Llandyssil, and are collected from the wall letter box at Blaenmachnog......
Return to top of page
[Gareth Hicks: 12 October 2003]
Find help, report problems, and contribute information.
Copyright © GENUKI and Contributors 1996