Betws Bledrws Contents
The data below has been extracted by Gareth Hicks (October 2003) with the kind permission of the publishers from the CD of the same title as the main heading. (Archive CD Books)
The general description extracted is a partly edited version, place names are as written.
Is a parish .....1 mile west from Derry Ormond station on the Great Western railway, 3 north from Lampeter and 9 south-west from Tregaron, in the hundred of Moythen, petty sessional division of Upper Moyddyn, union and county court district of Lampeter, and in the rural deanery of Lampeter, archdeaconry of Cardigan and diocese of St David's.
A branch line is now being constructed (1910) from a point about 1 mile south of Derry Ormond station to Aberayron.
The church of St Bleddrws is a modern building of stone in the Early English style .............stained glass windows ......presented by the family of the late W Inglis-Jones esq .....the church was rebuilt in 1887, with the exception of the tower, at a cost of £2009, and affords 110 sittings. The registers date from the year 1815. The living is a rectory .....at present vacant.
On a steep hill, half a mile above Derry Ormond station, is an obelisk, erected by Mrs Jones, grandmother of W Inglis-Jones esq, for the purpose of finding employment for labourers out of work; it is 100 feet high, and is useful as a landmark.
Derry Ormond Park is the seat of Wilmot Inglis-Jones esq, DL, JP, who is the principal landowner.
The soil is light and gravel; chief crops wheat and oats; most of the land is under pasture.
The area is 1580 acres; rateable value £1140; the population 1901 was 179.
Wall Letter Box; at Derry Ormond Park
Public Elementary School (mixed), for 60 children; average attendance 32; Rees Jones, master.
Railway Station; Derry Ormond, Wm John, statn mstr
Return to top of page
[Gareth Hicks: 12 October 2003]
Find help, report problems, and contribute information.
Copyright © GENUKI and Contributors 1996