GENUKI Home page up Betws Ifan Contents Contents

 

 

Betws Ifan chapels

 

For further details of this project see Cardiganshire Chapels Database

Compiled by Gareth Hicks (Feb 2007)

Sources

NB.  Not all available data was necessarily used from sources

 Other sources

 

Congregational

Beulah Independent chapel, Betws Ifan

  • Beulah Independent chapel, Betws Ifan         Baptistms 1837-1889;   Burials 1861-1889  NLW      (3)
  • Beulah Welsh Independent chapel (Glandwr), Beulah        SN28794609        Built 1860; rebuilt 1884; additions 1905.  Still in use in 1998  (1)
  • Beulah Independent chapel       Preaching from c 1807 in houses.     Schoolhouse built c 1831, chapel 1860 at Plas Newydd   Known as Glandwr in 1851     Records; see Bryn Mair, Blaen-porth parish   (4)
  • Glandwr Ind      Erected in 1831     "....... the chapel is free from debt"     William Jones, Minister, Glynarthin, nr Newcastle Emlyn     (2)
  • Rev David Dalis Davies (Congregational minister)  living at Trenova    [Not clear which local chapel he ministered to]         1910 (5)

Rawlins has this chapel under Blaen-porth parish -  it does appear to be close to both parish boundaries

Bryngwyn Independent chapel, Betws Ifan

  • Bryngwyn Independent chapel, Betws Ifan     Cause started in 1841; school house built in 1841; chapel built in 1867; branch of Trewen, Brongwyn parish          (4)
  • Bryngwyn Ind         Erected in 1838       Davies Davies, Superintendent, Llain, Cwmsylltyn   (2)
  • Bryngwyn Welsh Independent chapel     SN30034490    Schoolhouse built 1841; chapel 1843 (1867?); rebuilt 1900   (1)
  •  
  • MIs by Dyfed FHS
  •  
  • Photograph on Dyfed FHS
  •  
  • Shown as still open on the Union of Welsh Independents site (Nov 2006)

 

Methodist

Watch Tower Calvinistic Methodist chapel, Betws Ifan

  • Watch Tower Calvinistic Methodist chapel, Betws Ifan    Chapel built privately in 1865; 26 members in 1902; connected to Tanygroes, Penbryn    (4)
  • Watchtower Calvinistic Methodist chapel,    SN29944706   Built 1865; not still in use 1998    (1)
  •  
  • MIs by Dyfed FHS
  •  
  • Photograph on Dyfed FHS
  • Hanes Methodistiaeth, rhan ddeheuol Sir Aberteifi : oddechreuad y "Diwvgiad Methodistaidd" yn 1735 hyd 1900 . By John Evans.   Dolgellau , 1904. (Welsh Calvinistic Methodist Church History in the southern part of Cardiganshire from 1735 to 1900) This book contains an entry for each CM chapel in existence in South Cardiganshire at the end of 1900, including this one. It includes a history of preaching in the area before the chapel was built, lists deacons, ministers etc, and contains a wealth of genealogical information.
 
Return to top of page

[Gareth Hicks: 15 Oct 2011]

Valid HTML 4.01 Transitional

InfoFind help, report problems, and contribute information.

Copyright GENUKI and Contributors 1996 to date
GENUKI is a registered trade mark of the
charitable trust GENUKI