Bettws Evan Contents
The data below has been extracted by Gareth Hicks (October 2003) with the kind permission of the publishers from the CD of the same title as the main heading. (Archive CD Books)
The general description extracted is a partly edited version, place names are as written.
(or Bettws Ieuvan) is a parish ..... 4 1/2 miles north-by-west from Newcastle-in-Emlyn terminal station of the branch from Pencader junction of the Great Western railway, 9 1/2 north-east from Cardigan, 4 1/2 east from Aberporth and 287 from London, in the hundred of Troedyraur, petty sessional division of Penrhiwpal, county court district and union of Newcastle-in-Emlyn and in the rural deanery of Sub-Aeron, archdeaconry of Cardigan and diocese of St David's.
The church of St John is an ancient building of stone, in the Gothic style ......... (it) was repaired in 1870 and in 1904 was restored and a new vestry built, and affords 90 sittings. The separate registers date only from the year 1812, the earlier registers are incorporated with those of Penbryn. The living is a vicarage, with the perpetual curacy of Brongwyn annexed...... held since 1910 by the Rev Richard Lloyd Jones BA of St David's College, Lampeter.
There are Congregational chapels at BRONGWYN and Beulah, and also a Welsh Calvinistic Methodist chapel.
The land is in the hands of small freeholders. The soil is slaty. Chief crops, barley and oats. The area comprises 2,536 acres, of which one is water; rateable value £1547; the population 1901 was 312.
Post, Telegraph & M&O Office, at Beulah; John Morris, sub-postmaster.
Wall Letter Boxes; at Brongwyn, Lion & Tyllwyd
Return to top of page
[Gareth Hicks: 12 October 2003]
Find help, report problems, and contribute information.
Copyright © GENUKI and Contributors 1996