Betws Leucu Contents
The data below has been extracted by Gareth Hicks (October 2003) with the kind permission of the publishers from the CD of the same title as the main heading. (Archive CD Books)
The general description extracted is a partly edited version, place names are as written.
Is a parish on the river Aeron........ 4 1/2 miles south-west from Tregaron station and 4 west-by-south from Pont Llanio station, both on the Great Western railway, and 7 north from Lampeter, in the hundred of Moydden or Moythen, petty sessional division of Penarth, county court district of Lampeter, union of Tregaron, and in the rural deanery of Ultra Aeron, archdeaconry of Cardigan, and diocese of St David's.
The church of St Michael is a plain building of stone......... the church was rebuilt in 1875 at a cost of £600, and affords 125 sittings. The register dates from the year 1813. The living is a vicarage ...... held since 1885 by the Rev Timothy Davies of St David's College, Lampeter, who is also vicar of Gartheli and resides at Talsarn.
The Rev Thomas Davies BD, vicar of Llanddewi Brefi, Mrs Griffiths , John Thomas esq, and Evan Davies esq, are the principal landowners.
The soil is clay; chief crops, barley and oats. The area is 2373 acres; rateable value £1211; the population in 1901 was 228.
The nearest post ofice is at Llangeitho, Llanio Road, about 2 miles distant.
The children of this parish attend the school at Llangeitho.
Return to top of page
[Gareth Hicks: 13 October 2003]
Find help, report problems, and contribute information.
Copyright © GENUKI and Contributors 1996