GENUKI Home page up Blaen-porth Contents Contents

 

Kelly's Directory

South Wales 1910

The data below has been extracted by Gareth Hicks (October 2003) with the kind permission of the publishers from the CD of the same title as the main heading. (Archive CD Books)
The general description extracted is a partly  edited version, place names are as written.


Blaenporth

Is a parish in the county of Cardigan, 6 miles north-east from Cardigan (the nearest station), on the Whitland and Cardigan railway, 6 1/2 north-west from Newcastle Emlyn, and 2 south-east from Aberporth, in Lower Troedyraur hundred and petty sessional division, union and county court district of Cardigan, and in the rural deanery of Sub Aeron, archdeaconry of Cardigan, and diocese of St David's.

The church of St David is a building in the Decorated style...........the church was repaired in 1864, and affords 150 sittings. The registers date from the year 1716. The living is a vicarage .......held since 1905 by the Rev Evan Williams Evans BA, of Hatfield Hall, Durham, who is also vicar of and resides at Tremain.

The greatest part of the seaside village of Aber-porth is within this parish.

BRYNMAIR  Congregational chapel, erected in 1897, will seat 350; there is also a Calvinistic methodist chapel at ABERPORTH.

Lady Webley-Parry-Pryse, of Noyadd Trefawr, is the principal landowner. The soil is light. Chief crops, barley and oats. The area is 3,532 acres; rateable value 2660; the population in 1901 was 625.

Post Office; Blaenporth --- Mrs Parry Ellis, sub-postmistress

Post Office; Tan-y-groes --- Mrs Priscilla Jones, sub-postmistress

Wall Letter Boxes; Rhydant Ederyn, Ty-llwyd Lodge, and East Bank

Police Station, Aberporth; Moses Lloyd, constable

Public Elementary school, built in 1860, for 100 children; average attendance 56; John G James, master

Residents

Commercial

Farmers


Return to top of page

[Gareth Hicks: 15 October 2003]

InfoFind help, report problems, and contribute information.

Valid HTML 4.01 Transitional

Copyright GENUKI and Contributors 1996 to date
GENUKI is a registered trade mark of the
charitable trust GENUKI


Hosted by Mythic Beasts Ltd.