Downtime: The Genuki web service will be unavailable on Tues 24 Apr from 10:00 BST for approximately two hours whilst some software updates are installed.

Open a form to report problems or contribute information

1 Introduction 2 Message details 3 Upload file 4 Submitted

Help and advice for Kelly's Directory - South Wales 1910

If you have found a problem on this page then please report it on the following form. We will then do our best to fix it. If you are wanting advice then the best place to ask is on the area's specific email lists. All the information that we have is in the web pages, so please do not ask us to supply something that is not there. We are not able to offer a research service.

If you wish to report a problem, or contribute information, then do use the following form to tell us about it.

Kelly's Directory - South Wales 1910

The data below has been extracted by Gareth Hicks (October 2003) with the kind permission of the publishers from the CD of the same title as the main heading. (Archive CD Books)
The general description extracted is a partly  edited version, place names are as written.


Is a parish in the county of Cardigan, on the river Aeron, 5 miles west-by-north from Tregaron station, and 6 north-by-west from Pont Llanio station on the Great Western railway, in the hundred and petty sessional division of Penarth, county court district of Lampeter and union of Tregaron, and in the rural deanery of Ultra Aeron, archdeaconry of Cardigan, and diocese of St David's.

The church of St David, formerly an ancient building of stone, ...was rebuilt in 1903, on a new site added to the old churchyard; it is now a building in the Early English style............and affords 140 sittings.  The register dates from the year 1797. The living is a perpetual curacy.......... held since 1904 by the Rev David George Davies of St Bees. There is a Calvinistic Methodist chapel.

The Earl of Lisburne is lord of the manor, the land is held by small freeholders. The soil is clay. Chief crops, barley and oats. The area is 4231 acres; rateable value £1291; the population in 1901 was 418.

Post Office; Daniel Morgans, sub-postmaster

This parish is included in group 3 of the Tregaron District Education Committee.

Public Elementary school, Tanygarreg (mixed), built in 1877, for 90 children; average attendance, 47; David Davies, master.


  • Davies, Rev David George (vicar); Vicarage
  • Owens, Rev John (Calvinistic Methodist); Taihirionyrhos


  • Evans, Elizabeth (Mrs), cowkeeper; Tanygarreg
  • Hughes, Evan, blacksmith
  • Jenkins, David, grocer; Blaenafon
  • Jones, Daniel Lewis, auctioneer; Esgairhendy
  • Jones, David, cowkeeper; Eiron view
  • Jones, David, miller(water)
  • Morgans, Daniel, grocer & draper; Tymawr
  • Pugh, John, yarn spinner; Blaenafon
  • Richards, Rees, carpenter; Pencraig


  • Davies, Evan; Ffosfin
  • Davies, Thomas H; Gwargors
  • Davies, William; Penbryn
  • Edwards, Jacob; Cefn Hendre
  • Evans, Ann (Mrs); Penlone
  • Evans, Jane (Mrs); Caerochor
  • Evans, John; Bryngwyn
  • Evans, John; Penlan
  • Evans, Rees; Caemawr
  • Evans, Richard; Brynllocan
  • Evans, Richard; Tanbanck
  • Evans, Thomas; Fron
  • Evans, Thomas; Llwynbwch
  • George, Thomas; Brynda
  • Hughes, Evan; Tangarreg
  • Hughes, Thomas; Tanrallt
  • Humphreys, Owen; Cwmcoi
  • Jones, Daniel Lewis; Esgairhendy
  • Jones, David; Bryncroiau
  • Jones, David; Cyrtau
  • Jones, David; Tryal
  • Jones, John; Hendre
  • Jopnes, Rees; Blaenaevon
  • Lewis, David; Mynyddbrith
  • Lloyd, Evan; Penbank
  • Morgan, David; Lluestfach
  • Morgans, Daniel; Tymawr
  • Owens, Rev John; Taihirionyrhos
  • Phillips, David; Tynmynydd
  • Phillips. John; Brynwichell
  • Richards, Rees; Pencraig hall
  • Williams, Daniel; Ffosglas
  • Williams, John; Esgersaeson
  • Williams, Margaret (Mrs); Ynysgoch
  • Williams, Richard; Bankyllyn
  • Williams, Sarah (Mrs); Ffosyrodyn
  • Williams, William; Dolgeiniog
  • Williams, William; Maesllynfanod
  • Williams, William; Tynewidd

[Gareth Hicks: 13 October 2003]