The data below has been extracted by Gareth Hicks (October 2003) with the kind permission of the publishers from the CD of the same title as the main heading. (Archive CD Books)
The general description extracted is a partly edited version, place names are as written.
Is a parish in the county of Cardigan, on the river Aeron, 5 miles west-by-north from Tregaron station, and 6 north-by-west from Pont Llanio station on the Great Western railway, in the hundred and petty sessional division of Penarth, county court district of Lampeter and union of Tregaron, and in the rural deanery of Ultra Aeron, archdeaconry of Cardigan, and diocese of St David's.
The church of St David, formerly an ancient building of stone, ...was rebuilt in 1903, on a new site added to the old churchyard; it is now a building in the Early English style............and affords 140 sittings. The register dates from the year 1797. The living is a perpetual curacy.......... held since 1904 by the Rev David George Davies of St Bees. There is a Calvinistic Methodist chapel.
The Earl of Lisburne is lord of the manor, the land is held by small freeholders. The soil is clay. Chief crops, barley and oats. The area is 4231 acres; rateable value £1291; the population in 1901 was 418.
Post Office; Daniel Morgans, sub-postmaster
This parish is included in group 3 of the Tregaron District Education Committee.
Public Elementary school, Tanygarreg (mixed), built in 1877, for 90 children; average attendance, 47; David Davies, master.
Return to top of page
[Gareth Hicks: 13 October 2003]
Find help, report problems, and contribute information.
Copyright © GENUKI and Contributors 1996