The data below has been extracted by Gareth Hicks (October 2003) with the kind permission of the publishers from the CD of the same title as the main heading. (Archive CD Books)
The general description extracted is a partly edited version, place names are as written.
Is a parish and small village..........., 2 1/2 miles north-west of Newcastle in Emlyn terminal station on the branch from Pencader of the Great Western railway, 6 3/4 south-east-by-east from Cardigan, 22 from Lampeter, and 284 from London, in the hundred of Troed-yr-aur, petty sessional division of Penrhiwpal, county court district and union of Newcastle-in-Emlyn, and in the rural deanery of Sub-Aeron, archdeaconry of Cardigan, diocese of St David's.
The church of St Mary is an ancient building of stone, in the Early English style ..........(it) affords 74 sittings. The register dates from the year 1790. The living is a perpetual curacy, annexed to the vicarage of Bettws Evan......held since 1910 by the Rev Richard Lloyd Jones BA of St David's College, Lampeter, who resides at Bettws Evan.
There is a Congregational chapel.
Mrs Davies, of Aberceri, is the principal landowner.
The soil is slatey. Chief crops, wheat and potatoes and some land under pasture.
The area comprises 1645 acres, of which 7 are under water; rateable value £1361; the population in 1901 was 226.
Sub Post Office, Brongwyn --- Mrs Mary Jones, postmistress...........
Wall Box; at Cil-afallen.
Public Elementary School at Cwmcoy (mixed), for 120 children; average attendance 65; Job Jenkins, master.
Return to top of page
[Gareth Hicks: 16 October 2003]
Find help, report problems, and contribute information.
Copyright © GENUKI and Contributors 1996