GENUKI Home page up Cardigan Contents Contents

 

 

Cardigan chapels

 

For further details of this project see Cardiganshire Chapels Database

Compiled by Gareth Hicks (Feb 2007)

Sources

NB.  Not all available data was necessarily used from sources - and sources 1 & 4 have been combined as similar

 Other sources

Baptist

Bethania Welsh Baptist chapel, William St, Cardigan

  • Bethania / Bethany Welsh Baptist chapel, William St, Cardigan            SN1790446187     Built 1775/6; rebuilt/modified 1819, 1843 & again 1846-7 with further modifications/additions 1868, 1882, 1900 & 1908.        Members; 300 in 1840        Records;    1. account of services held 1855-60, 1877-1905 at NLW      2. memoranda 1871-87 inc. details of preachers/proceedings etc  at NLW            Still in use 1998      (1) & (4)
  • Bethany Particular Baptist        Erected in 1775     Evan Thomas, Minister    1851 (2)
  • Baptist chapel, William St   Rev Evan Thomas         Slaters 1868   (10)
  • Bethania Welsh Baptist chapel in William street, erected in 1847, is a building of stone of the Tuscan order, and has 900 sittings    1895  (6)
  • Rev John Williams    1895  (6)    &  1910  (5)

Mount Zion English Baptist church, Priory St, Cardigan

  • Mount Zion English Baptist church, Priory St, Cardigan       SN1787146158        Built 1878-80; modifications/additions 1905.  Still in use 1998           (1)
  • Mount Zion English Baptist chapel, built in 1880, has 300 sittings    1895   (6)
  • Rev George Hughes   1895  (6)    & 1910 (5)

 

Congregational

Capel Mair Welsh Independent chapel (St Mary's chapel), St Mary's Lane, Cardigan

  •  Capel Mair (St Mary's chapel) Welsh Independent chapel, St Mary's Lane, Cardigan      SN1799146122      Started 1792, chapel built 1803, rebuilt/enlarged 1831 & again 1869/7, modified/renewed 1875-6 & 1889.    Members; 360 in 1873         Records;   1. births & bapts 1803-37 PRO & on IGI              2. D J Roberts papers 1833-1977  re history of chapel at NLW             Still in use 1998           (1) & (4)
  • St Mary's Ind        Erected before 1800     David Davies, Ind Minister     1851 (2)
  • Capel Mair Welsh Ind, Cardigan, opened 1803   Birth & bapts 1803-37 copies at Cer RO    (7)
  • Capel Mair, Cong    Bapts 1803-37 at PRO      (3)
  • Ind chapel, St Mary's Lane    Rev Wm Davies   Slaters 1868  (10)
  • The Capel Mair Welsh Congregational chapel, in St. Mary's lane, originally built in 1803, rebuilt in 1831 and. again rebuilt and enlarged in 1870, at a cost of 1,400, is of blue limestone, with Bath stone dressings, and will  seat 700 persons.     1895   (6)
  • Rev Thomas J Morris    1895  (6)
  • Rev T Esger James   1910  (5)
  •  
  • See Bap/Mar/Bur data on FreeReg
  • Roberts, D.J. Capel Mair, Aberteifi. Gomer: 1955
  •  
  • Photograph on Dyfed FHS
  • Shown as still open on the Union of Welsh Independents site (Dec 2006)

Details of extant records on Archives Network Wales for the following;

  • Thomas Jenkins Manuscripts [mostly relating to Capel Mair chapel] 1907-1945    "Thomas Jenkins (1862-1945), monumental mason, lived at Glen-view, Cardigan. He was Secretary of Capel Mair Congregational chapel, Cardigan, taught in the Sunday School, and by the time of his death in 1945 was the senior elder there....."
  • Roberts, D. J., papurau (papers) [ c. 1833]-1977  (accumulated [20th century])   [partly relating to Capel Mair chapel]   "The Rev. D. J. Roberts, Independent minister, Cardigan, researched the history of his chapel, Capel Mair, and wrote a biography of another Independent minister, Dr Peter Price (1864-1940), for the National Eisteddfod in 1949. ........."

Hope English Independent chapel, Carriers Lane, Cardigan

  • Hope English Independent chapel, Carriers Lane, Cardigan          SN1786545986    Converted to chapel 1837; use as chapel ceased 1880                 (1)
  • English Ind chapel, Carriers Lane       Slaters 1868   (10)
  • A photograph after conversion on the Cardigan Heritage site

Earlier version of chapel below, on slightly different site

Hope English Congregational chapel, Pendre

  • Hope English Congregational chapel, Pendre       SN1784146306    Built 1837; rebuilt 1879/80    Demolished 1976 / 1998    (1) & (4)
  • Hope Ind            Erected in 1837   Richard Hancock, Pastor    1851 (2)
  • Hope English Congregational chapel, Pendre, erected in 1837 and rebuilt on a new site in 1880, affords 500 sittings.      1895  (6)
  • Rev John Morda Evans   1910  (5)
  • English Cong, Cardigan   Opened 1837, closed by 1992

 

Methodist

Ebenezer Wesleyan Methodist chapel,  Pwllhai/Priory St, Cardigan

  •  Ebenezer Wesleyan Methodist chapel,  Pwllhai/Priory St, Cardigan     SN17834613    Started 1809; chapel built 1827; rebuilt 1844 & 1879.     Closed 1884; demolished? by 1998        Records possibly with the Wesleyan chapel in Lampeter parish       (1) & (4)
  • Ebenezer WM      Erected in 1827     David Evans, Minister    1851 (2)
  • Ebenezer Wesleyan        Bapts 1839-84 at NLW     (3)
  • Wesleyan Methodist chapel, Pwllhay     Slaters 1868   (10)

Tabernacl Welsh Calvinistic Methodist, Pendre

  •  Tabernacl Welsh Calvinistic Methodist, Pendre           SN1779946241         Started 1740s; chapel built 1760; rebuilt 1807 & 1832; modified 1864; enlarged 1902; restored 1986/7   Members; 282 in 1902     Records;    1. births and bapts 1808-37 PRO & on IGI      2.   account book 1842-72  NLW        Still in use 1998         (1) & (4)
  • Tabernacle CM         Erected before 1800            Thomas Edwards, Elder, Bridge St, Cardigan    1851 (2)
  • Tabernacle CM, Cardigan     Bapts 1808-37 at PRO      Bapts 1878-99 at NLW    (3)
  • Methodist chapel, Pendre     Slaters 1868  (10)
  • The Welsh Calvinistic Methodist chapel, Pendre, built.in 1760, will seat 750 persons         1895  (6)
  • Rev John Griffith Moelwyn Hughes    1910  (5)
  • Hanes Methodistiaeth, rhan ddeheuol Sir Aberteifi : oddechreuad y "Diwvgiad Methodistaidd" yn 1735 hyd 1900 . By John Evans.   Dolgellau , 1904. (Welsh Calvinistic Methodist Church History in the southern part of Cardiganshire from 1735 to 1900) This book contains an entry for each CM chapel in existence in South Cardiganshire at the end of 1900, including this one. It includes a history of preaching in the area before the chapel was built, lists deacons, ministers etc, and contains a wealth of genealogical information.
 

Miscellaneous

Cemetery

  • A cemetery of 1 1/2  acres was formed in 1876, at a cost of 900, and is under the control of a burial board of 9 members     1895   (6)

 

Return to top of page

[Gareth Hicks: 2 June 2013]

Valid HTML 4.01 Transitional

InfoFind help, report problems, and contribute information.

Copyright GENUKI and Contributors 1996 to date
GENUKI is a registered trade mark of the
charitable trust GENUKI