"CELLAN, a parish in the upper division of the hundred of MOYTHEN, county of CARDIGAN, SOUTH WALES 3 miles (E. N. E.) from Lampeter, containing 465 inhabitants. This parish is situated in a mountainous district, on the banks of the river Teivy. The living is a discharged rectory, in the archdeaconry of Cardigan, and diocese of St. David's, rated in the king's books at £5.7.8 1/2 endowed with £200 royal bounty, and in the patronage of the Bishop of St.David's. The church, dedicated to All Saints, is an ancient edifice, consisting of a nave and chancel : it contains two piscinae ,and the font is supported on a square pillar, on which is carved the face of a male saint. There are places of worship for Independents and Presbyterians..... "
[From Samuel Lewis's A Topographical Dictionary of Wales 1833]