"CILIAU-AËRON, a parish in the lower division of the hundred of ILAR, county of CARDIGAN, SOUTH WALES, 10 1/2 Miles (N. W.) from Lampeter, containing 344 inhabitants. This parish is situated on the river Aëron by which it is bounded on the north-east, and from which it derives the adjunct to its name. The living is a discharged rectory, in the archdeaconry of Cardigan, and diocese of St.David's, rated in the king's books at £5, endowed with £400 royal bounty, and in the patronage of the Bishop of St. David's. The church. dedicated to St. Michael, is a small edifice, consisting of a nave and chancel. There is a place of worship for Presbyterians. A Sunday school, which is gratuitously superintended, affords the means of instruction to the poor children of the parish. The average annual expenditure for the support of the poor is £62.19."
[From Samuel Lewis's A Topographical Dictionary of Wales 1833]