Ciliau Aeron Contents
The data below has been extracted by Gareth Hicks (October 2003) with the kind permission of the publishers from the CD of the same title as the main heading. (Archive CD Books)
The general description extracted is a partly edited version, place names are as written.
Is a parish ...... 9 miles north-west from Lampeter station on the Great Western railway, and 5 south-east from Aberayron, in the hundred of Ilar, petty sessional division of Ilar Lower and Aberayron, union and county court district of Aberayron, and in the rural deanery of Glyn Aeron, archdeaconry of Cardigan, and diocese of St David's. The church of St Michael is a plain but ancient building of stone ........ affords 120 sittings. The registers date from 1715. The living is a rectory .... held since 1902 by the Rev William Owen.
There is a Congregational chapel founded in 1775, with 350 sittings, and a Unitarian chapel, founded in 1689.
Capt Herbert Vaughan, of Brynog, Talsarn, is the principal landowner.
The chief crops are wheat, oats and barley.
The area is 1945 acres; rateable value £1079; the population in 1901 was 254.
Parish Clerk; William Griffiths
Post & Telegraph Office; James Davies, sub-postmaster.
Wall Letter Box; at School
The parish is included in the Aberayron school management ; B C Jones, Aberayron, clerk to the managers
Public Elementary School (mixed), for 100 children; average attendance 50; David E Thomas, master
Return to top of page
[Gareth Hicks: 28 October 2003]
Find help, report problems, and contribute information.
Copyright © GENUKI and Contributors 1996