The data below has been extracted by Gareth Hicks (October 2003) with the kind permission of the publishers from the CD of the same title as the main heading. (Archive CD Books)
The general description extracted is a partly edited version, place names are as written.
Is a parish ..... 12 miles north-west from Lampeter, the nearest railway sttaion on the Great Western railway , 14 north-east from Newcastle in Emlyn, and 5 south-east from Aberayron, in the hundreds of Troedyraur and Nwyddyn, petty sessional division of Ilar Lower and Aberayron, and union and county court district of Aberayron, and in the rural deanery of Glyn Aeron, archdeaconry of Cardigan, and diocese of St David's.
In 1910 a new branch of the Great Western railway from Lampeter to Aberayron will be opened, when the nearest station to this parish will be Ciliau Aeron.
The church of St Vitalis is a plain building of stone ..... the church was rebuilt about 1819, and affords 120 sittings. The registers date from the year 1718. The living is a vicarage......... and held since 1909 by the Rev Stephen Jones LicDiv of St David's College, Lampeter.
There are two Congregational chapels in the parish.
T H Ford Hughes esq of Carmarthen, is the principal landowner.
The soil is gravel; chief crops, wheat, oats, barley and potatoes. The area is 3867 acres; rateable value £1627; the population in 1901 was 397.
Parish Clerk; William Wilcox
Sub-Post Office; James Williams, sub-postmaster
Public Elementary School (mixed), for 70 children; average attendance, 64; William Luke, schoolmaster
The parish is included in the Aberayron school management; Benjamin C Jones, clerk to the managers; Thomas Jones, Llanarth, school attendance officer
Return to top of page
[Gareth Hicks: 29 October 2003]
Find help, report problems, and contribute information.
Copyright © GENUKI and Contributors 1996