The data below has been extracted by Gareth Hicks (November 2003) with the kind permission of the publishers from the CD of the same title as the main heading. (Archive CD Books)
Place names are as written unless clearly misleading.
Eglwys Newydd (or Llanfihangel y Creuddyn Upper)
Is a parish in the county of Cardigan, 8 1/2 miles from Trawscoed station on the Manchester and Milford railway, and 12 south-east from Aberystwyth, in Ilar hundred, Aberystwyth union and county court district, Upper Ilar petty sessional division, rural deanery of Llanbadarnfawr, archdeaconry of Cardigan and diocese of St. David's.
The church (dedication, unknown) is an ancient building of stone, recently restored, and consists of chancel and nave, and a turret containing one bell. There are 250 sittings. The register of baptisms dates from the year 1773; marriages and burials, 1774. The living is a vicarage, gross yearly value, £133, net £126, with glebe (£76), and residence, in the gift of Thomas James Waddingham esq. of Hafod, but 'pro hac vice' by lapse, the Bishop of St. David's, and held since 1878 by the Rev. Edward Williams. B.A. of Durham University, who resides at Devil's bridge; Rev. John Caleb Owen has been curate in charge since 1887.
There is a Calvinistic Methodist chapel.
Hafod is the seat of Thomas James Waddingham esq. D.L., J.P. The Crown is lord of the manor. The principal landowners are the Earl of Lisburne and Thomas J. Waddingham esq.
The soil is loam; subsoil, shale. Chief crops, barley and oats, but most of the land is pasture. Population, area, and rateable value included in Llanfihangel-y-Creuddyn Lower.
Letters arrive through Aberystwyth at 12 noon, and collected same time. Nearest money order office, Devil's bridge, & telegraph office, Aberystwyth
The children of this place attend the school at Yspytty Ystwyth.
- Owen, Rev. John Caleb (curate in charge); Eglwys Newydd
- Waddingham, Thomas James M.A., D.L., J.P. ; Hafod
- Evans, William, shopkeeper, New row
- Hill, William Thomas, Devil's Bridge, hotel; Hafod
- Bonner, William; Trisant
- Davies, John; Pengwernewydd
- Edwards, Charles Bonsall; Llwynwnwch
- Evans, Henry; Doleacion
- Evans, John; Lettysiniol
- Evans, Stephen; Rhosrydd
- Jones, David; Mynach
- Jones, Evan; Blaenpentre
- Jones, Evan; Maenarthur
- Jones, John; Caemeirich
- Jones, John; Cyfle
- Jones, John; Troed rhiw
- Lewis, Edward; Nantarthur
- Thomas, David; Cwmneardioncanol
- Williams, Ann (Mrs.); Llethermeirch
- Williams, Griffiths; Rhygpermion
- Williams, James; Llethnevick
[Gareth Hicks: 23 November 2003]